Types of Heart Implants
They may also act as a transition to a more invasive treatment plan, such as a heart transplant. The most common heart implants used are:
These are the most common implants which are used. It is an internal monitoring system for the heart that measures the
- Electrical activity
- Beating pattern
- Heart rate
- Blood temperature
Recommended: Time to Fully Recover from Heart Bypass Surgery
Pace makers are recommended when a person experiences arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat .Which indicates that heart is beating patterns are too fast, too slow, or uneven.
Procedure: It is surgically inserted into the abdomen or chest cavity. The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia.
- Surgeon inserts the small device and its battery pack under the skin. A wire will then be threaded through the veins and up to the heart.
- The procedure may take several hours, and then mostly an overnight hospital stay is advised.
You may be interested in: Common complication after open heart surgery
Ventricular Assist Device
It is a temporary measure which is used to prevent end-stage heart failure. This device is also called as left ventricular assist device (LVAD), as it helps perform the job of the heart’s left ventricle.
Recommended: People on the list for a heart transplant may require an LVAD to perform the job that their heart is too weak to do.
Procedure: An open–heart surgery is performed to implant the LVAD.
- Patient is placed on a ventilator and heart-lung machine while the device is implanted in the chest cavity.
- Patient is advised to stay in the intensive care unit directly after surgery.
Helpful: Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator
Implantable Cardioverter Defrrillator
ICD is very similar to Pacemaker. It is used to treat arrhythmia.
Recommended: It is mostly recommended in patients who have had episodes of Ventricular Fibrillation (VF)
Procedure: An implanted defibrillator delivers an electrical current to the heart to restart the muscle in the event of VF or other forms of arrhythmia.
- An ICD is implanted under the skin, usually in the area below the collarbone or the abdomen.
- Wires are threaded from the ICD battery pack to inside the heart muscle.
Click here to know more about Cardiac Implants
Factors Affecting the Heart Implants Cost
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service)
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthesist, Physiotherapist)
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Cost of Implant, this will also depend the type of implant
- Pace maker implant single /double chamber(will also depends on patients condition also)
- ICD combo implant
- Pacemaker installation cost