Heart Transplant Cost In IndiaChat
What is Heart Transplant?
Heart Transplant is a surgical procedure to treat a diseased heart and replace it with a healthier donor heart.
How is the Procedure Performed?
During Heart Transplant, the surgeon removes the diseased heart and sews the healthy heart in place followed by attaching the major blood vessels to the new heart. This procedure is performed under general anesthesia and takes around six to eight hours.
Who is the Right Doctor for Heart Transplant?
A highly-qualified cardiac surgeon who focuses on performing heart-related surgeries is the right doctor to consult for getting a Heart Transplant done.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
The five-year survival rate following Heart Transplant is approximately 70%.
It takes around three to six months for complete healing after a Heart Transplant. However, the age and general health of an individual also depend on the recovery period.
What is Heart Transplant?
A Heart transplant, or a Cardiac transplant, is a surgical transplant procedure performed on patients with end-stage heart failure or severe coronary artery disease when other medical or surgical treatments have failed.
How is the Procedure Performed?
In a Heart, the Transplant procedure involves the removal of the diseased heart and replacing it with the donor's heart. The surgeon then attaches the major blood vessels to the donor's heart.
Who is the Right Doctor for Heart Transplant?
The right doctor to consult for a Heart Transplant case is a Cardiac Surgeon.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
The overall survival rate after Heart Transplant is more than 85% after one year and about 69% after five years for adults.
The cost of Heart Transplant Surgery includes:
Preoperative diagnostic tests cost [some tests that may be required, including Echocardiogram, Electrocardiogram, Heart catheterization, Chest x-ray, etc.]
The surgery cost
Post-Operative cost (depends on the number of follow-up sessions)
Medicine cost (Immunosuppressants, Pain Killers, Antibiotics, etc.)
Cost of immunosuppressant injections (if required)
Patient's hospital stay
Note: Extra care is needed after a Heart Transplant since there is a risk of infection, so the patient may need to stay in a sterile environment during recovery.
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
Type of hospital and room opted (General, Twin sharing, or single room)
The severity of the disease
Additional tests may be needed
Post-surgical complication, if it happens (such as rejection, cardiac allograft vasculopathy, graft dysfunction, chronic kidney disease (CKD), etc.)
Cost of Blood products (if required)
An extended stay at the Hospital due to any health reason apart from the package stay period
Cost of accommodation during follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident
Cost related to Heart Transplant in India
|Treatment name||Cost range|
|Heart Transplant||Rs.2220000 to Rs.2960000|
|Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA) Surgery||Rs.199800 to Rs.266400|
|Heart Implants||Rs.244200 to Rs.325600|
Help Us With Patient Details
Top hospitals and doctors for Heart Transplant in IndiaFilter
Showing 198 Hospitals and doctors for Heart Transplant in India
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
The hospital falls in the category of the top cardiology hospitals in India holding an unmatched record of 1,52,000 cardiac surgeries
As many as 100 advanced and basic procedures are carried out every day including echo, stress echo, vascular doppler studies, and TMT.
95% of surgeries are beating heart surgeries, thus offering fast recovery and least damage.
The team is expert in handling complicated cases related to Coronary artery bypass surgery, Neonatal heart surgery or Valvular heart disease.
Apollo is the pioneer in Coronary Artery Stenting and LASER angioplasty since 2002.
The cardiac surgeons are experts in advanced techniques like Percutaneous Transluminal Septal Myocardial Ablation.
Apollo has an overall success rate of 98% including emergency cases and repair of complex congenital defects.
Has Well-equipped third-generation cath labs, critical care, and intensive care units.
Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi
The hospital was awarded as the best cardiology hospital in India by Consumer Department.
It has treated more than 70,000 patients in the last 22 years.
The cardiac unit was the first to introduce Asia’s first operational fluid management technologies.
The hospital has attributed in doing India’s first,
Trans-Catheter aortic-valve Implantation (TAVI) procedure
Subcutaneous Defibrillator implantation (S-ICD) procedure
c. Pacemaker implanted via Bundle Pacing
It was also the first in Asia to introduce minimal access surgery, and robotic surgery to treat heart disease.
There are specialty clinics such as ICD clinic, pacemaker clinic, and heart failure clinic.
Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai
The hospital is counted amongst the top 10 cardiology hospitals in India as it was the first one to introduce MitraClip, a cutting-edge technology in cardiology.
It was also the first hospital to do India’s first successful Trans-catheter mitral valve replacement.
99.6% of the cardiac bypass surgeries are beating heart surgeries, in which the heart-lung machine is not used, thus providing faster recovery and lesser damage to the body.
The center is armed with state of art equipment for accurate diagnosis, which includes, 320 slice CT Scanner, 64 slice CT angiography, transesophageal echocardiography etc.
It has a record of doing about 1,52,000 cardiac surgeries, which is the highest in entire south-east Asia.
A distinct section is established for pediatric patients, which has treated thousands of cases especially congenital heart diseases and cardiac surgeries.
The team of the best cardiologists in India has performed over 85,000 angiographies and more than 50,000 coronary angioplasties.
Dr. M Sitaram, one of the best cardiologists in India, is working with the hospital for the last 18 years. He has also worked for the Indian Army.
Doctors for Heart Transplant in India
Cardiac SurgeonDirector, 32 years of experience
- Dr Y K Mishra is one of the renowned & most experienced cardiac surgeons in India.
- With an experience of over 32 years, he is widely recognised & has successfully performed over 14,000 open heart surgeries, & more than 500 robotic surgeries.
- In addition to his clinical work, he also has a keen interest in training, education &research work & has been invited as a guest lecturer from all around the world.
- He has also chaired scientific sessions in national and international conferences held in USA, UK, China, Italy, Japan, France and Far East Countries.
- He has conducted live cases at his workshops held in Thailand, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- He has completed his masters in Surgery and MBBS from the prestigious S. S Medical College, Rewa (MP).Following which he did his PHD in Cardiovascular Surgery from Bakulev Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery, Moscow, Russia.
- Dr Mishra completed his fellowship in Cardiovascular Surgery from Thoracic Centre, University Hospital Uppsala, Sweden. He has done a training in:
- Robotic Cardiac Surgery from Odessa,Texas,USA, University Hospital Utrecht ,Netherland,Ohio State University Columbus Medical Centre,USA
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery from Odessa Texas,USA
- Special course in Endoscopic IMA harvesting Institute of Tele Surgery from University of Strasbourge, France.
- Minimally Access Valve Surgery ( Heart Post Surgery or Key hole surgery ) from Heart Port Research & Training Centre in Salt Lake City , Utah ,USA.
- Dr Mishra has an exclusiveness of being on the Board of Directors of International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery. He is the 4th Asian to be honoured and Second Indian to hold this distinction
- He has received Lifetime Achievement Award by Dr A. P. J. Abdul Kalam & Honoris Causa Doctorate (Doctor of Science) conferred by Governor of Madhya Pradesh and Chancellor of Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya.
- He is the Founder Member of Indian College of Cardiology & also the Fellow Member of Association Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgeons of India.
- He is the also the founder of Payasuni Heart valve Foundation for prevention and treatment of rheumatic heart diseases.
- He has his expertise in minimally invasive cardiac surgery Robotic surgery, beating heart coronary artery bypass, aortic surgery.
Cost of consultation for Heart Transplant with Dr Y K Mishra starts from INR 1100.
Cardiac SurgeonChairman, 36 years of experience
- Dr. Ajay Kaul is one of the most recognized Cardiothoracic Surgeons in India
- With an experience of 36+ years, he has performed over 10,000 Cardiac Surgeries and 4000 Total Arterial Coronary Bypass Surgeries.
- He has also performed a large number of over 4000 minimally invasive cardiac surgical procedures.
- He pursued his Master's degree in Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery from Bombay University.
- Dr. Kaul is one of the finest surgeons in the department of cardiac surgery and also performs cardiac transplantation.
- He also holds Fellowships in Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Transplant & Minimally Invasive Surgery from eminent Institutes like Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (Germany), Royal Melbourne Children's Hospital (Melbourne), and Hannover Medical School (Germany), Leipzig Cardiac Centre (Germany).
- Dr. Kaul is a versatile surgeon who has a vast surgical experience in total Arterial coronary bypass surgery, Paediatric cardiac bypass surgery, valve repairs, Surgery for aneurysms, cardiothoracic surgery, and Surgery for cardiac failure.
- He is also well-trained for heart transplants, heart surgeries, and ventricular assist devices.
- He is an active member of organizations like the Cardiological Society of India and the Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery of India.
- Dr. Kaul has appeared in various noteworthy news media like ET Healthworld, NDTV.
Cost of consultation for Heart Transplant with Dr. Ajay Kaul starts from INR 1600.
Cardiac SurgeonChairman, 40 years of experience
- Dr. Naresh Trehan is one of India's most successful Cardiovascular and Cardiothoracic Surgeons with experience of over 40 years
- Dr. Naresh has performed over 48000 cardiac surgeries.
- He is the founder of the Escorts Heart Institute & Research Centre.
- Dr. Trehan's expertise lies in cardiothoracic surgeries like Cardiomyoplasty, myocardial total arterial revascularization, transmyocardial laser revascularization, Reduction ventriculoplasty (Batista Operation), Heart port access surgery, aortic valve surgery, and robotically-assisted cardiac surgery.
- Dr. Trehan also specializes in Cardiovascular diseases and Cardiothoracic surgery like thoracic surgeries including chest wall defects, heart attacks, heart failure, video-assisted minimally invasive cardiac surgeries, heart disease, lung cancer, etc.
- For his Medical school, Dr. Naresh went to King George's Medical University, Lucknow in 1968, followed by doing Diploma studies in cardiothoracic surgeries from the American Board of Surgery, USA.
- He also acquired a Fellowship from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2002.
- Served as personal surgeon to the President of India since 1991.
- Dr. Naresh Trehan was awarded the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan Award, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award, and many more prestigious awards.
- Former president of International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS), USA, and member of prestigious organizations like Society of Thoracic Surgeons of the USA and The European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery, to name a few.
Cost of consultation for Heart Transplant with Dr. Naresh Trehan starts from INR 1500.
Before Heart Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Heart Transplant procedure consists of three stages: The first stage is harvesting the heart from the donor. The second removing the recipient's damaged heart And lastly is the implantation of donor's heart.
Contradictions are: Insulin-dependent diabetes with severe organ dysfunction Recent thromboembolism such as stroke Advanced kidney, lung, or liver disease Metastatic cancer Life-threatening diseases including acute infection or systemic disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus, sarcoidosis Vascular disease.
When checking whether a heart is a good match the team will look at the quality of the heart, the size, and how well it matches blood and tissue type.
The most common causes of death following a transplant are infection and rejection. With the exception of having to take lifelong medication to keep the body from rejecting the new heart.
General symptoms of heart transplant rejection are- Fever Fluid collection in lungs Decreased oxygen level in blood Shortness of breath.
Functioning of heart is assessed by: Echocardiogram - measures the Ejection Fraction or EF which is a measure of how well the heart is contracting. NT-pro BNP - a hormone that rises in the blood as a response to a failing heart.
At Vaidam, we are proud to associate with several Joint commission international (JCI )accredited Indian hospitals in our panel. Also Vaidam is the first and only online medical facilitator in India accredited by NABH. This recognition is an acknowledgment to the quality of care being provided to patients, safety standards and services.
85 to 90 percent patients live 2 years or more. 60% of them live for 5 years or more.
Unfortunately, there can never be a commitment on how long one has to wait. It depends on a lot of factors - age, height, weight, blood group of the patient, Indian patients in waiting queue, International patients in waiting queue before the patient.
Heart transplant is the surgery to remove the disease part of heart from a person and then to replace it with a healthy heart from donor organ. Before you can start with your heart transplant the doctor makes sure that this is the best treatment choice for your heart failure.
You may need a heart transplant if your heart is failing and other treatments are not effective. It is not effective in case if end-stage heart failure disease in which the heart muscles are severely failing in pumping blood throughout the body.
Heart transplant is a major surgery and its some of its complications can be life threatening. Among all the people undergone heart transplant the rate of survival is seen upto five years.
Heart transplant is a major surgery the risk of the surgery includes bleeding, infection, and blood clots in some cases there can also be rejection of donor heart.
Heart transplant can take less than four hours to be done while some complex procedures will take seven to nine hours to be done.
Some of the causes of heart failure incudes heart attack, viral infection, high blood pressure, heart valve disease, heart defects seen at the time of birth, irregular heart beats, high blood pressure in lungs, alcohol intake, low red blood cell count, chronic lung disease.
During the Heart Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
A heart transplant operation usually takes between 4-6 hrs.
Before undergoing heart transplantation you have to undergo some tests which doctor will prescribe you such as blood test, diagnostic tests such as X-rays, ultrasound, CT scans. You should not eat or drink anything before six hours of the procedure.
A routine heart transplant surgery can be performed in less than four hours, while some complex ones may take seven to eight hours or even more than it.
Heart transplant is done under general anaesthesia, first a soft flexible tube will be placed in your bladder for draining urine. Another tube will be put through your mouth or nose into your stomach for draining stomach fluids. Once you are asleep, a breathing tube will be put through your mouth into your lungs. The tube will be attached to a machine (ventilator) that will breathe for you during the surgery. The skin over your chest will be cleaned with an antiseptic solution.
- The surgeon will make an incision down the centre of your chest from just below the Adam's apple to just above the navel.
- After that surgeon will cut the breast bone in half and they will then separate the two half of the breast bone and spread them apart to reach your heart.
- The surgeon will put tubes into your chest so that your blood can be pumped through by a heart-lung machine.Once the blood has been completely diverted into the bypass machine eased heart.
- The surgeon will sew the donor heart into place. Once your new heart is in place, it is being connected with the blood vessels carefully so there are no leakage.
- When your new heart is fully connected, the blood circulating through the bypass machine will be allowed back into the heart and the tubes to the machine are removed.
- Tubes will be put into your chest to drain blood and other fluids from around the heart. These tubes will be connected to a suction device to drain fluids away from the heart as it heals.
- A sterile bandage or dressing will be applied.
After Heart Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
It takes about six to eight weeks for your incisions to heal.
It generally takes three to six months to fully recover from heart transplant surgery.
Recovery after your heart transplant is similar to the recovery after any heart surgery. It takes about six to eight weeks for your incisions to heal. At first, you may have some muscle or incision discomfort in your chest during activity. Itching, tightness, or numbness along your incision are also normal.
You'll usually need to stay in hospital for around 2 or 3 weeks after a heart transplant. Most people are able to start returning to many of their normal activities within a few months.
Heart transplant has lots of risks; it is possible that the heart transplanted will not work enough to maintain its circulation.
Risks of heart transplant includes infection, bleeding during or after surgery, blood clots, breathing problems, kidney failure and coronary allograft vasculopathy.
How much does Heart Transplant cost in different cities in India?
The price for Heart Transplant in different cities in India is approximately in the range of:
- New Delhi: Rs.1875900 to Rs.2934100
- Gurgaon: Rs.1924000 to Rs.2886000
- Noida: Rs.1803750 to Rs.3006250
- Chennai: Rs.1924000 to Rs.2765750
- Mumbai: Rs.1972100 to Rs.2934100
- Bangalore: Rs.1875900 to Rs.2837900
- Kolkata: Rs.1803750 to Rs.2717650
- Jaipur: Rs.1683500 to Rs.2693600
- Mohali: Rs.1731600 to Rs.4088500
- Ahmedabad: Rs.1611350 to Rs.2669550
- Hyderabad: Rs.1851850 to Rs.2813850
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Cardiac Surgeon
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals
Treatment videos related to Heart Transplant
FAQ videos related to Heart Transplant
More searches related to Heart Transplant
Get assistance for your treatment from our experienced care team !
Help Us With Patient Details
What is the price of Heart Transplant in other countries, compared to India?
Approximate price of Heart Transplant in other countries compared to India is:
- Turkey, USD 76000 to USD 114000, approximately 90% higher than India
- Israel, USD 64000 to USD 96000, approximately 60% higher than India
- Malaysia, USD 80000 to USD 120000, approximately 100% higher than India