Are you worried about your friends and family making fun of your bald look? Feeling less confident when you meet someone? Have you tried every way, from supplements, alternative medicines, and PRP to wigs and prosthetic hair, but are still unsatisfied? Don't worry; there is a permanent solution to your hair loss! You are thinking right. It's a hair transplant. Hair transplant surgery is a remarkable fusion of medical skills and scientific precision.
But you might be wondering if it will work for you. You are not alone. As soon as someone hears of a hair transplant, everyone wonders about its success rate and if it will work for them.
In general, the success rate of hair transplants is in the range of 90 to 95%. Achieving a 100% success rate is also possible, provided you take the special measures mentioned in the blog.
What is a Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant is a cosmetic & plastic surgery in which the surgeon extracts hair from your body and transplants it to an area where the hair is thin or completely gone. The procedure usually takes 4 - 8 hours to complete and can be performed under local anesthesia.
Hair transplantation has evolved significantly thanks to surgical techniques, equipment, and expertise advancements. Patients considering this procedure can expect natural-looking results and improved self-esteem, as it effectively addresses hair loss concerns.
There are two primary methods used in hair transplantation:
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT): In this technique, a strip of skin containing hair follicles is surgically removed from the donor area. Skilled medical professionals dissect the strip into individual follicular units, which are implanted into the recipient area. FUT leaves a straight scar at the donor site but can yield many grafts in a single session.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): FUE involves the extraction of single hair follicles directly from the donor site using specialized microsurgical tools. This method avoids a linear scar, leaving only tiny, unnoticeable marks at the donor site. FUE is preferred by those who want minimal scarring and a shorter recovery time, although it may require multiple sessions for larger hair restoration goals.
What is the Success Rate of Hair Transplant?
The positive results of a hair transplant largely depend on the surgical approach used. Two primary techniques—Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)—are commonly utilized. Research has shown that both methods can yield successful outcomes, with FUE often being favored for its minimal scarring and faster recovery.
Apart from surgical technique, several patient-specific factors influence the success rate of a hair transplant. These include age, the extent of hair loss, the quality of donor hair, and the skill of the surgical team. Younger patients with stable donor areas and realistic expectations tend to experience higher success rates.
Success Rates Based on Technique
Follicular Unit Transplantation: FUTs are recommended when the patient aims at restoring maximum fullness. It gives better coverage and fullness to hair loss patients experiencing significant baldness of the crown region. The success rates of FUT are high, ranging from 95 to 98%.
Follicular Unit Extraction: FUEs are preferred for patients with less hair density at the donor sight or a soft scalp. The technique is now being performed using robots and offers up to 98% success rates.
Success Rates Based on Gender
There's a misconception that hair transplants are for men only. Hair transplantations are performed in women also. However, the results might vary for several reasons.
Success Rate for Men:
- Men often have a predictable pattern of hair loss.
- Hair transplants work well in men because they usually have good hair at the back and sides of the head to use as donor hair.
- Many men see successful results from hair transplants, often with over 95% success when done by skilled surgeons.
Success Rate for Women:
- Women's hair loss can be more complex, with various causes.
- Women may experience overall thinning rather than a specific pattern, making hair transplants more challenging.
- Success rates for hair transplants in women can still be good, but they can vary depending on the individual case and the reasons for hair loss.
- The success rate of hair transplants in females lies between 85 to 95%.
How to Improve the Success Rate of Hair Transplants?
The hair transplant success rate can be drastically improved by considering various factors before, during, and after the surgery.
Some of the ways by which you can increase the probability of a successful hair transplant are:
- Opt for the Best Surgeon: Choosing a skilled and experienced hair transplant surgeon is vital. Research and find a cosmetic surgeon with a proven track record, preferably one who specializes in the specific method (FUT or FUE) you choose. Hair Transplant Surgeons in India are highly specialized in performing all types of hair transplant surgeries. Surgeons in Turkey are skilled and have made the country most popular for hair transplant procedures. Thailand is also home to some of the most experienced surgeons.
- Be sure you are the Right Candidate: Ensure you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. Ideal candidates have stable hair loss patterns, sufficient donor hair, and realistic expectations.
- Selecting the Right Procedure: Discuss with your surgeon which hair transplant method (FUT or FUE) is most appropriate for your case. Each technique is different, and the choice can impact the success rate.
- Preoperative Preparation: Follow all preoperative instructions provided by your surgeon. This may include discontinuing certain medications or habits like smoking that could affect the procedure's success.
- Have a Healthy Lifestyle: Maintain a healthy lifestyle before the surgery. Proper nutrition and hydration can contribute to overall health, essential for healing.
- Maintain Good Scalp Health: Ensure your scalp is in good condition before the surgery. Proper scalp care can help create an optimal environment for graft survival.
- Post-Operative Care: Adhere meticulously to post-operative care instructions provided by your surgeon. This includes:
- Keeping the scalp clean and infection-free.
- Avoid strenuous activities that could dislodge grafts.
- Taking prescribed medications as directed.
- Avoid Injuries: Protect the newly transplanted grafts from physical trauma or sun exposure during the early healing phase.
- Go for Regular Follow-Ups: Attend all scheduled follow-up sessions with your surgeon to monitor progress and address any concerns promptly.
- Have Patience and Realistic Expectations: Understand that hair transplant results take time to manifest fully. Be patient and have realistic expectations from the results.
- Take Supplements: Individuals taking supplements, such as biotin or other vitamins known to support hair health, might have better outcomes.
- Proper Stress Management: Minimize stress as much as possible during recovery, as stress can harm hair growth.
What Can You Do Before and After Surgery to Improve the Outcomes of a Hair Transplant?
Measures to be taken before the surgery:
- Smoking hampers the process of healing. You should stop smoking two to three weeks before the surgery if you are a smoker.
- Have a conversation about your medical history. Disclose all the medications you are taking. Warfarin, clopidogrel, beta-blockers, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and vitamin E are some drugs that surgeons might ask you to stop taking. Only stop or change the dose after consulting the doctor.
- Also, discuss allergies, whether from food or drugs, before the surgery.
- Have a good, whole night's sleep before the surgery.
- Wash the head with a mild shampoo and have a proper breakfast on the day of the surgery.
Measures to be taken after the surgery:
- Wash your head daily using a mild shampoo. Do not rub your head while applying shampoo. After washing the head, use a soft paper towel to pat dry the hair.
- Take the prescribed medications without fail. Antibiotics are necessary to prevent post-surgery infections.
- Refrain from going in direct sunlight or scratching your scalp at least three weeks after the surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol or smoke for at least two weeks after the surgery. This will help a smooth recovery and increase the chances of a successful hair transplant.
What is the Cost of Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant can be nothing less than a magical procedure for people with hair loss. However, not everyone goes for the procedure, fearing the success rate and the cost associated with it. However, some countries offer this cosmetic surgery with success rates up to 100%, and that too at affordable rates.
The cost of hair transplants in India starts from INR 80,000. International patients can expect this cost to be in the range of USD 1800 – 2200.
Other nations that you can explore and the cost of the procedure is given below.
Hair transplant surgery represents a remarkable fusion of science and skills, offering individuals grappling with hair loss the chance to reclaim their lost hair and their confidence. The success of hair transplants lies in the hands of skilled cosmetic surgeons who navigate this delicate cosmetic surgery. Continual advancements in technology have also revolutionized hair transplantation. Robotic assistance and automated graft counting devices enhance the procedure's precision and efficiency, contributing to higher success rates.