Liver Transplant Cost In IndiaChat
What is Liver Transplant?
Liver Transplant or hepatic transplantation is the process of replacing complete or a part of a diseased liver with the healthy liver from a donor. conditions like end-stage liver disease and acute liver failure, has Liver transplantation as a only treatment option sometimes.
Although availability of a healthy donor organs is a major limitation.
Liver is the largest internal organ and performs several critical functions, like processing nutrients, medications and hormones.
Liver produces bile, which helps the body absorb fats, cholesterol and fat-soluble vitamins. It also makes proteins that help the blood clot, remove bacteria and toxins from the blood thus preventing infection and regulating immune response of the body.
How is the Procedure Performed?
Liver transplant procedure can be of two types based on donor, either deceased donor or living donor.
In deceased liver transplant, the complete liver is taken out from the cadaver and is placed into recipient's body.
Whereas in case of living donor, only a part of liver can be transplanted which will later regrow and become fully functional in few weeks.
After placing the donor liver the bile duct and vessels are attached to it and patient is put under observation for further healing and regeneration.
Who is the Right Doctor for Liver Transplant?
The right doctor for liver transplant surgery is a Gastroenterologist, Hepatologist or Liver Transplant Surgeon.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
In general, around 75% of people who undergo liver transplant surgery, live for at least five years. That means, for every 100 people who undergoe a liver transplant, around 75 of them will live for more than five years and 25 will die within five years.
The cost of a Liver Transplant includes:
Preoperative diagnostic tests cost [some tests that may be required, including blood tests (Bilirubin, Prothrombin Time, Creatinine, Albumin), a chest X-ray, an electrocardiogram (EKG), and an abdominal ultrasound]
The surgery cost package includes donor liver resection and liver transplant to the patient.
Post-Operative cost (depends on the number of follow-up sessions)
Medicine cost (Immunosuppressants, Pain Killers, Antibiotics, etc.)
Cost of immunosuppressant injections (if required)
Patient's hospital stay
Donor's hospital stay
Note: Extra care is needed after Liver Transplant since there is a risk of infection, so the patient may need to stay in a sterile environment during recovery.
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
Type of hospital and room opted (General, Twin sharing or single room)
The severity of the disease
Additional tests may be needed, like Tissue Biopsy
Post-surgical complication, if it happens (such as bleeding, rejection of the donated liver, etc.)
Cost of Blood products (if required)
An extended stay at the Hospital due to any health reason apart from the package stay period
Cost of Accommodation during follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident
Cost related to Liver Transplant in India
|Treatment name||Cost range|
|Liver Transplant||Rs.1332000 to Rs.1776000|
|Liver Cirrhosis Treatment||Rs.88800 to Rs.118400|
|Hepatitis B Treatment||Rs.22200 to Rs.29600|
Top hospitals and doctors for Liver Transplant in IndiaFilter
Showing 116 Hospitals and doctors for Liver Transplant in India
- The liver transplant unit at FMRI provides every service from pre-surgical management to post-operative care.
- It provides access to multiple organ procedures, such as liver-kidney transplant or liver-lung transplant if required.
- The hospital has India’s only center for laparoscopic-assisted donor hepatectomy, which provides cosmetic donor liver resection with small incision and completed safety measures.
- The team is headed by Dr. Vivek Vij, who has an extensive experience of nearly 20 years.
- He has been a part of more than 2500 liver transplants with a success rate of 95 to 100 percent.
- He has carried out more than 500 independent liver transplants, with the lowest biliary complication rate.
- The liver transplant unit at Apollo Chennai has a 12-bedded specialized critical care unit, which is dedicated to post-surgical management of liver transplant patients.
- The team head has an experience of handling more than 1000 living-donor and deceased-donor liver transplant patients.
- The Liver ICU is well-armed by advanced equipment and managed by experts who are pioneers in their fields such as Infection Disease consultant, Respiratory Therapists, etc.
- The ICU has leading-edge technologies such as advanced ventilators, crash cart with defibrillators, CRRT, SLED, plasma exchange therapy, and other equipment needed for emergency care of the patients.
- The liver transplant center of Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital has a comprehensive unit, which is the first of its kind.
- The unit successfully performed more than 164 liver transplant surgeries within just 2 years of its launch.
- The team of doctors has managed to achieve a success rate of nearly 87% in Elective Liver transplants and 79% in emergency liver transplants.
- The liver transplant team at the hospital comprises 6 transplant surgeons, 4 hepatologists, 4 anesthetists, 40 hematologists, blood bank specialists, transplant coordinators and several other team members.
- Dr. Divakar Jain is one of the leading liver transplant surgeons at the hospital, who has an extensive experience in pediatric liver transplant, ABO incompatible liver transplant as well as donor safety.
Doctors for Liver Transplant in India
Liver Transplant SurgeonSenior Consultant, 25 years of experience
- Dr. Sanjay Govil is one of the top Liver Transplant Surgeons in India.
- He holds vast experience of 25 years as an accomplished HPB and GI oncology.
- Holds special interest in and deft at performing Liver transplant surgeries.
- Contributed many papers on general, GI, and HPB surgeries in various journals in India and abroad.
- He completed MBBS from Christian Medical College, Vellore in 1985 and MS - General Surgery from Christian Medical College, Vellore in 1989.
- Member of various renowned organizations such as the Association of Surgeons of India and The Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology (Executive committee member, 2008-2010)
Liver Transplant SurgeonConsultant, 20 years of experience
- Dr. Murugan N is one of the leading Hepatologists and Liver Transplant Surgeons based in Chennai
- Holds 14 years of experience in endoscopic procedures
- Specializes in Viral Hepatitis, Fatty Liver, Liver Failure, Liver ICU management and Liver Transplantation
- Expert in Colonoscopy and polypectomy Insertion of Colonic stents Emergency colonoscopic intervention for lower GI bleeding ERCP
- Experienced in the treatment of patients with Viral hepatitis, in managing patients with end stage liver disease, in the assessment and work up of patients prior to liver transplantation, pre and post-operative care, and long-term management of immune suppression
- Till now, has recent experience of 15 successful liver transplants
Liver Transplant SurgeonDirector, 18 years of experience
- Dr. K R Vasudevan is among the top Liver Transplant Surgeons with experience of more than 18 years.
- Dr. Vasudevan has expertise in the treatment of Non-Surgical Fat Loss, Endosurgery, Colonoscopy, Endoscopic Surgery, and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- He has membership association with Association of Surgeons of India, Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology, Indian chapter, International Hepato Pancreatic Biliary Association, Founder Member, Liver Transplant Society of India, and International Liver Transplant Society (ILTS).
- He has received several awards for his incredible contribution to the field of medical science.
- He worked as key opinion leader by The Transplant Society in 2011.
- He trained a team in a government hospital in Gambhat, Pakistan to develop their liver transplant program through regular frequent visits.
Liver Transplant Cost - Frequently Asked Questions
Before Liver Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Rejection is your body's way of not accepting the transplant. Although rejection is most common in the first six months after surgery, it can occur at any time.
A liver transplant is surgery to replace a diseased liver with a healthy liver from another person. A whole liver may be transplanted, or just part of one.The liver is the only organ in the body that can replace lost or injured tissue (regenerate). The donor's liver will soon grow back to normal size after surgery.
In general, about 75% of people who undergo liver transplant live for at least five years.
The age limit is individualized as it varies with a patient's overall health condition. However, it is rare to offer liver transplant to someone greater than 70 years old.
Attested birth certificate of the patient and the donor, Attested family records of the patient and the donor, Passport copies of the patient and the donor and in case of a married donor, an attested consent of the donor's husband/wife. There could be other documents specific to your case, and you must talk about it in detail with your case manager.
Liver transplant is the procedure which is used for replacing the diseased part of the liver with the healthy part of the liver called as donor.
Liver transplant is needed in case of some conditions such as chronic hepatitis with cirrhosis, primary biliary cholangitis, sclerosing cholangitis, alcohol overuse, liver cancer, wilsons disease and hemochromatosis.
The chances of living after liver transplant is 89%. In some cases the transplanted liver can fail or the original disease may come.
The result of liver transplant is excellent, most people have lead a normal life even after 30 years after surgery.
You are not eligible for liver transplant if your age is 65 years or more than it and you are having severe obesity with disease such as hepatitis B.
Most people who undergone liver transplant can live for more than 10 years and many patients can live for 20 years or even more than it. According to a study it is said that 90% of people who have undergone liver transplant has survived for one year or even more.
During the Liver Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
The duration of the surgery ranges from 4 to 18 hours depending on outcome.
After the liver transplant, patients will be in the intensive care unit for two days. After that, they are in the regular part of the hospital for about eight to ten days.
Liver transplant is a major surgery it will take around six to twelve hours to complete.
In liver transplant the surgeon first operate on the donor part of your liver by removing the portion of liver required for transplant. Then the surgeon removes the disease part of your liver and place the donated part of your liver and then blood vessels and bile ducts are connected to new liver. The following steps are being followed during liver transplant surgery:
- An incision is made in your abdomen
- Blood vessels are being cut off to the diseased part of your liver
- Diseased liver is removed and then it is replaced with a healthy donor liver
- Reattach the bile ducts and blood vessels.
- At last it is attached to the bile ducts and blood vessels and the incisions are closed.
After Liver Transplant - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Liver transplant patients will need to take some combination of medications for life after their transplant.
You will definitely have some pain after liver transplant but the pain is not severe just like other abdominal surgeries because the nerves which are disconnected during the initial abdominal incisions causes numbness of the skin and near the abdomen and the nerves regenerate in six months after surgery.
The recovery time after liver transplant will be of six months or more before you are completely healed. You will be able to do your normal activities and go back to work within a few months after surgery.
Complications of liver transplant includes acute graft rejection, vascular thrombosis, biliary leak or stricture, infection and malignancy.
If your body rejects liver transplant then your body may experience some mild symptoms for it initially such as having high fever, increased liver function tests, yellowing of the eyes and skin and fatigue.
There are very less chances of rejection in liver transplant, only 30 out of 100 patients have suffered from rejection. The risk of rejection after liver transplant is very high in the first six months after transplant because at this time there is less chance that your body will recognise liver coming from another person.
How much does Liver Transplant cost in different cities in India?
The price for Liver Transplant in different cities in India is approximately in the range of:
- New Delhi: Rs.1125540 to Rs.1760460
- Gurgaon: Rs.1154400 to Rs.1731600
- Noida: Rs.1082250 to Rs.1803750
- Chennai: Rs.1154400 to Rs.1659450
- Mumbai: Rs.1183260 to Rs.1760460
- Bangalore: Rs.1125540 to Rs.1702740
- Kolkata: Rs.1082250 to Rs.1630590
- Jaipur: Rs.1010100 to Rs.1616160
- Mohali: Rs.1038960 to Rs.2453100
- Ahmedabad: Rs.966810 to Rs.1601730
- Hyderabad: Rs.1111110 to Rs.1688310
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Liver Transplant Surgeon
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals
Treatment videos related to Liver Transplant
FAQ videos related to Liver Transplant
What is the price of Liver Transplant in other countries, compared to India?
Approximate price of Liver Transplant in other countries compared to India is:
- Turkey, USD 48000 to USD 72000, approximately 100% higher than India
- Thailand, USD 44000 to USD 66000, approximately 83% higher than India
- Germany, USD 80000 to USD 120000, approximately 233% higher than India
- Israel, USD 42400 to USD 63600, approximately 77% higher than India
- Singapore, USD 232000 to USD 348000, approximately 867% higher than India
- Malaysia, USD 48000 to USD 72000, approximately 100% higher than India