A person does not consider Spine Surgery without any thorough consultation. Still, when they do, a common question comes to mind: "Which is better: a neurospine surgeon or an orthopedic spine surgeon? The straight answer to this question is that trained neuro spine and orthopedic spine surgeons are considered for this matter.
Spine surgery is a specialized field within orthopedic and neurological surgery that deals with conditions and disorders affecting the spine. Surgeons who hold expertise in spine surgery treat various spine disorders such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spinal cord injuries, scoliosis, and more. Surgeons who typically specialize in spine surgery are Orthopedic Spine and Neuro Spine surgeons.
Who are Orthopedic Spine Surgeons?
Orthopedic Spine Surgeons truly focus on the health of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and musculoskeletal muscles. They treat a wide variety of orthopedic issues, including spine conditions. They manage spinal deformities from a structural and mechanical perspective. Orthopedic spine surgeons are trained in orthopedic surgery but with a focus on the spine during their residency.
Some of the common procedures performed by orthopedic spine surgeons are -
- Spinal fusion surgery - Surgery to permanently fuse two or more bones of the spine. This procedure restricts the movement between the fused bones.
- Scoliosis surgery - Scoliosis surgery is a medical procedure to correct an abnormal spine curve known as scoliosis. It is characterized by a sideways curvature of the spine, which can result in an "S" or "C" shape.
- Disc herniation surgery - Herniated disc is a deformity where the rubber disc between spinal bones ruptures. Disc herniation surgery is a complex surgery in which the surgeon removes or fixes the part of the disc that causes pressure on the nerves.
- Spine trauma surgery - This procedure is done to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves by removing damaged structures such as a herniated disc, fractured bone, or soft tissues pressing on the nerves.
Who are Neurospine Surgeons?
Neurospine surgeons have expertise in treating issues related to the nervous system and spinal cord. They specialize in the management of spinal cord compression and nerve impingement. Neurospine surgeons undergo extensive training in both neurosurgery and spinal surgery to address a wide range of conditions.
Some of the common procedures performed by Neurospine Surgeons are -
- Discectomy - It is the procedure to fix or remove the disc which causes the pressure on nerves or spinal roots.
- Laminectomy - The removal of a part or the entire intervertebral disc to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. This is commonly done to treat disc herniation.
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty - These are minimally invasive procedures to treat vertebral compression fractures of the spine.
Whether it is an orthopedic spine surgeon or a neuro spine surgeon, they are both qualified to perform spine surgery. Still, the best specialist for you will depend on the specific nature of your spinal condition and its impact on your nervous system. The surgeon's expertise, the procedures they perform, and their approach also significantly impact the decision to select the best doctor for you.