India is a country constantly improving its medical infrastructure. Whether performing neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, or spine surgery, the country's surgeons aim for optimal patient care. With more than 2,000,000 spine surgeries performed each year, India ranks among the top destinations for various spinal disorders and deformities.
Just like any other surgery, spinal procedures have some myths associated with them. Common ones are low success rates, long recovery times, and high expenses. To bust these myths, Dr. Saurabh Verma, consultant and head of the spine surgery department at the Manipal Hospitals, Dwarka, came to Vaidam's office and provided valuable insights regarding various spine surgeries.
He explained how multidisciplinary teams of neurosurgeons, neurologists, orthopedic surgeons, and anaesthesiologists work together at the Manipal Hospital to provide the best possible care to patients. The hospital conducts over 500 spinal surgeries monthly. The most common surgeries are laminectomy, foraminotomy, microdiscectomy, spinal fusion, ACDF, and TLIF.
Other insights provided by him were –
- The success rate of spinal surgeries depends on preoperative conditions. The earlier the disease is diagnosed, and the patient comes for intervention, the higher the success rates.
- 99% of the spinal cases don't need to be taken to the ICU post-surgery. They can be directly shifted to the regular wards.
- The average hospital stay for a spine surgery patient is about 4-5 days.
- The recovery process after spine surgery is better than knee or hip replacements. The patient can gradually resume their day-to-day activities, although with some caution.
- Indian and international implants are equally good in quality and offer similar results.
- In spinal fusion surgeries, the bones get fused and become as strong as before within three years of the surgery.
About Dr. Saurabh Verma
Dr. Saurabh Verma is a renowned Spine Surgeon with 17 years of experience. His field of expertise includes Deformities of Spine, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Degenerative Spine Disorders, and Spine Trauma. He has been trained in spinal surgeries at one of the best institutions, the Indian Spinal Injuries Center, New Delhi.
About Manipal Hospitals, Dwarka, Delhi
Manipal Hospitals, Dwarka, is a super specialty hospital consisting of 380 beds. It offers comprehensive care for patients suffering from spinal disorders. A dedicated team of experts is available around the clock and offers a full range of services for –
- Spine Surgery: Microdiscectomy, artificial disc replacement, spinal fusion surgery, spinal tumor surgery, spinal deformity osteotomies
- Pain Management: Spinal injections (epidural injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, transforaminal nerve root blocks)
- Rehabilitation: Sedentary exercises, injury-specific exercises, psychotherapeutic interventions
Newer techniques available at the hospital include intraoperative real-time neural monitoring, robot-assisted surgery, and minimally invasive spine surgeries. These techniques help prevent paralysis, nerve damage, and other complications during spinal surgeries.
The session was interactive, and the surgeon shared a lot of knowledge. Our team members enthusiastically took part in it and got all their doubts related to spine surgeries cleared. These sessions help dispel myths and provide valuable insights about various procedures.
We look forward to having such an engaging session again.