Whenever we go to purchase something expensive or valuable, we look for certifications and guarantees. In the same way when we plan for medical treatments, we look for certain certifications of the healthcare centers that establish their authenticity and provide us with a guarantee of receiving a proper treatment there.
What is accreditation?
Accreditation is like a review of the healthcare organizations. There are sets of predetermined criteria set by the accreditation agencies that the hospitals and the medical clinics have to follow. They represent agencies as trustworthy and reputable organizations that are dedicated in maintaining high standards of quality in the infrastructure, treatment and regulations.
Why do we need accreditation?
Accreditations are required because it is through their certifications that we understand the development, maintenance and policies of the healthcare centers. Without any further research a trust is therefore automatically formed for a certain hospital or clinic when we see that they are well accredited.
What are the criteria on which accreditations are based?
The important criteria based on which accreditation agencies measure healthcare centers are:
- Organizational structure
- Policies and procedures of the hospital
- Agreement with the law of the land
- Rights of and responsibilities toward the patients
- Human resource management
- Patient records
- Quality Outcomes
- Performance improvement
- Infection Control
- Patient Safety
- Safety of employees
What are the renowned accreditation agencies?
The most renowned accreditation agencies are:
- Evaluating over 700 hospitals around the world, the JCI or Joint International Commission is a certifying body that has branched out from the U.S based agency, the Joint Commission.
- It is considered as the gold standard for hospitals and clinics and is the most reliable accreditation body.
- Till now it has accredited over 350 healthcare organizations across 16 countries. See the whole list of JCI accredited hospitals right here.
Know more: JCI accredited hospitals on Vaidam Health
- National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare is a part of the Quality Council of India that functions as the accreditation programme for healthcare organizations.
- The NABH is structured according to the prerequisites of the consumers so as to set certain benchmarks for the hospitals and healthcare centers.
- It is the board member of ISQua (International Society for Quality in Health Care) and ASQua ( Asian Society for Quality in Healthcare).
- Click here to know the whole list of NABH accredited hospitals in India.
Know more: NABH accredited hospitals on Vaidam Health
- Working as an automous body under the Department of Science and Technology, authorized by the Government of India, the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories assesses the quality and technical competence of testing and calibration laboratories.
- It is registered under the Societies Act 1980.
- It is linked with international bodies like ILAC (International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation and APLAC (Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation).
Know More: NABL accredited hospitals on Vaidam Health
- The International Society for Quality in Healthcare is a prominent partner of World Health Organization that accredits the accreditation agencies or accreditators.
- It makes sure that all accreditation agencies are in tune with the international standards properly.
- It has accredited more than 60 accrediting organizations in more than 25 countries. Click here to see the full list.