The surgery done to restore the blood flow to the heart by creating a bypassed way around the blocked or obstructed artery is known as heart bypass surgery. It is generally done in cases of Coronary Artery Disease, in which the coronary arteries get obstructed or blocked as a result of atherosclerosis (deposition of fatty substances on the walls of the coronary arteries).
Who needs heart bypass surgery?
People who fundamentally have coronary artery disease or obstructed arteries due to any reason are recommended to heart bypass surgery. However, not everyone is eligible for the surgery. For example, people having the following conditions can cause complications:
- Kidney disease
- Peripheral Artery Disease
What is the cost of heart bypass surgery in Chennai?
The good news is that the overall heart bypass surgery cost in India is much less as compared to that in countries like the United States. For instance, the cost of heart bypass surgery in the USA is approximately around 40,000 USD. On the other hand, it may cost you around 4000 USD to 6000 USD (287230 INR to 430845 INR) in cities like Chennai in India.
Just after the surgery is done, the patient is moved to the Intensive Care Unit or ICU. A breathing tube is linked to helping them breathe from the ventilator. After you wake up after 2 to 4 hours and start breathing on your own, the breathing tube is removed.
After a day or two in the ICU, the patient is moved to the recovery room. The hospital stay of the patient after coming out of ICU is approximately 3 - 5 days. After that, the patient is discharged.
Top cardiac surgeons in Chennai
Dr Girinath MR
- Works as a cardiothoracic surgeon at Apollo Hospital, Chennai and holds an experience of 45 years.
- He also worked in Auckland for 3 years.
- He has performed more than 25,000 open heart surgeries in the last 16 years.
- He has lead the cardiac surgery team in 40,000 heart operations including 14,000 were beating heart operations.
Dr Y Vijayachandra Reddy
- Dr Reddy is an interventional cardiologist with an experience of 23 years.
- He also received the best doctor award for cardiology in 2011.
- Dr Reddy has performed more than 7000 PCIs, 30000 invasive procedures, and 700 cardiac devices.
Dr Sandeep Attawar
- Experience of more than 22 years with more than 9000 surgeries.
- He also contributed to establishing 3 major heart centres in India and outside.
- His expertise lies in CABG, pediatric heart surgery, the cardiac surgeon for valve repair and replacement surgery.
Dr Sengotuvellu G
- Holds an experience of 25 years at Apollo Hospital Greams Road, Chennai
- He has won several awards like Best doctor award, Best case presentation, and Award for Clinical excellence.
- He did the first successful transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) for aortic valve stenosis in Tamil Nadu.
- He was the first in South India to use Clearway catheter in primary angioplasty.
Top cardiac surgery hospitals in Chennai
Apollo Hospital Greams Road
- Counted amongst the top 10 cardiology hospitals in India, it was the first to introduce MitraClip which is the latest technology in cardiology.
- It is also the first hospital to do India’s first successful Trans-catheter mitral valve replacement.
- 99.6% of the cardiac surgeries done in the hospital are beating heart surgeries in which a heart-lung machine is used.
Global Hospital, Chennai
- Established in 1999, the hospital is accredited with NABH, NABL, and HALAL.
- It offers treatment for many heart conditions such as myocardial infarction, coronary artery disease, heart failure, irregular heartbeat etc.
- The hospital is best known for doing the best minimally invasive surgery in India, which allows the patients to recover faster.
Fortis Malar Hospital, Chennai
- The cardiology unit has performed various complex surgeries such as BT Glenn Shunt, PDA interruption, coarctation repair, closure of ASD & VSD, intra-cardiac repairs and many more.
- The hospital has more than 160 consultants and 650 employees to manage over 11,000in-patients.
Why Chennai is a preferred place for cardiac treatment in India?
The healthcare system in Chennai is run by both government and private hospital. It attracts about 45 per cent of the health tourists overseas and 30-40 per cent of the domestic patients. Chennai is known as the health capital of India as there are several Multi-speciality and super-speciality hospitals, which deal with nearly 150 patients each day. Some of the prime reasons for the superfluous inflow of the patients are:
- Low cost
- No waiting period
- Advanced facilities
Chennai is widely known for being eminent in transplant surgeries. For instance, Chennai has recorded the first-ever liver transplant in the country in the 1990s.