INTRODUCTION TO HAIR TRANSPLANT
Hair transplantation (also called hair restoration or hair implantation) is a minor surgical process that takes hair from the back of the head or a donor and moves it to the area of hair loss. It is a process of restoring hair permanently by transplanting new follicles into balding or thinning areas. Healthy follicles are taken from other areas of the body, mostly from the back or the sides of the head.
This can be done by taking a single strand of hair or individually removing the follicles. The number of grafts needed depends on the patient and the size of the area being treated. Permanent results of transplant are amazing and can transform the way a person looks and feel.
HAIR TRANSPLANT PROCEDURE
Hair transplant surgery is a one day out-patient procedure done under local anesthesia. Patients experience little or minimum discomfort during and after the surgery. There are two systems/methods of hair transplant that are performed and they give an excellent results.
Procedure of implantation remains the same in both methods, the only difference remains in the technique followed to harvest the graft. Occasionally, it may be required to combine both procedures to get the ideal results. The complete procedure will take about 4 to 8 hours.
Step by step procedure of hair transplant:
- Once the patient is ready for the transplant, then the hair present in the donor area which has to be surgically removed is trimmed. Once this is done is, the area will be anesthetized with a LA (Local Anesthesia).
- Donor Tissue is removed and sutured: The bald resistant hair follicles present in the donor tissue will be surgically removed. After that the donor area is sutured.
- Hair combed over the sutures: Patient’s hair is combed over the donor area and the sutures present there will not be visible. Approximately ten days after the procedure, these sutures will be removed.
- Donor tissue is trimmed into follicular unit grafts: Donor tissue is then viewed under the microscopes, so that they can be dissected and follicular units hair grafts hair grafts can be prepared.
- Bald recipient area is prepared: Recipient area is anesthetized & ready for the transplant.
- Incisions & grafting of the balding area: Tiny incisions in an irregular pattern will be made in the recipient area. Follicular unit grafts are then placed into these tiny incisions. Usually, in the front of the hairline the smallest one & two hair grafts are placed, with three and four hair grafts placed behind them.
- Patient immediately after the transplant: Patient will have hundreds of tiny incisions with short growth showing from the new grafts.
- Closing of the transplant: The graft incisions are tiny & they will heal up rapidly. Within a week the redness & scabbing at the area goes.
WHO CAN GO FOR IT
Having hair transplant improves your appearance and self-confidence. If thinning up top or going bald bothers you, then hair transplant procedure can help you feel more confident about your appearance.
Good candidates for a hair transplant include:
- men with male-pattern baldness
- women with thinning hair
- anyone who has lost some hair from a burn or scalp injury
Hair replacement isn’t a good option for:
- women with a wide-spread pattern of hair loss throughout the scalp
- people who don’t have enough “donor” hair sites from which to remove hair for transplant
- people who form keloid scars (thick, fibrous scars) after injury or surgery
- people whose hair loss is due to medication like chemotherapy
HAIR TRANSPLANT RECOVERY
The scalp may be very tender after the surgery. The patient may need to take pain medications for several days. The surgeon may make you wear bandages over your scalp for a day or more. He may also prescribe an antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory drugs. Mostly people are able to return to work 2 to 5 days after the surgery.
Generally, after 2 to 3 weeks of the surgery, the transplanted hair falls out and you will notice new hair. Mostly people observe 60% of new hairs growth after 6 to 9 months. A surgeons may also prescribe hair growing drugs to improve hair growth after transplantation.
SIDE EFFECTS OF HAIR TRANSPLANT
You might have hair shedding or thinning issues. This is a typical post-operative condition and the thickness comes back a few months after surgery.
You may also notice include some bleeding as a side effect of hair transplant surgery. Applying pressure on the bleeding areas might stop the bleeding. If the bleeding does not stops, it is advised to meet the surgeon to do some extra stitching around the wounds.
Very rarely, infections are reported after the hair transplant surgery. The doctors generally prescribe antibiotics before and after the procedure to prevent these infections.
A very slight pain is experienced with hair transplant surgery. Nearly half of the people who undergo the procedure do not even require a pain killer, some may be advised mild pain relievers for a few days.
Itching might occur on areas affected by hair transplant surgery. However, it should not last more than a few days. Using shampoo recommended by your doctor to wash your hair might help with this problem.
A swelling might be is experienced in the forehead and around the eyes. This might last for only a few days with the worst being of it appearing on the fourth day. Some may also experience a black eye.
People might report temporary numbness feeling numbness for several weeks after the surgery.
If someone experiences keloid scarring after the hair transplant surgery, it may be because of genitival issues.
A cyst may appear in the areas where hairs are transplanted, but it do not last more than a few weeks and are rarely more than the size of small pimples.
Five in hundred people report having hiccups after the procedure. This can be subsided with mild medications and will be prescribed by the doctor.
HAIR TRANSPLANT IN INDIA
India being one of the best medical travel destinations offers their patients with the most cost effective hair transplant treatment. The hospitals have advanced infrastructure, modern medical equipments and excellent patient care.
Gathering years of experience the Indian doctors are also well qualified and acclaimed. They aware of the latest hair transplant techniques, machines and instruments and continue their research in the medical field.
COST OF HAIR TRANSPLANT IN INDIA
Hair transplant treatment costs around USD 2000 in India.
Go through our cost calculator to know more.
FAQ ABOUT HAIR TRANSPLANT
Is hair transplantation safe?
The procedure is done under local anesthesia and it is so comfortable that you can watch TV, read a book or talk to your friends on the phone while it is been performed.
When can the results be seen?
The transplanted hair can be seen immediately after the surgery, however], it takes nearly 9-12 months to grow to your hair’s normal length. That is when the actual results are appreciated.
Is it difficult to maintain transplanted hairs?
No special maintenance is needed for the transplanted hair. They can be washed, combed, oiled, cut and styled normally.
What Is The Ideal Age For Hair Transplant?
The ideal age for hair transplant is 40 and above. This is the time the baldness sets in, so people can get the right transplant for them. Moreover, this doesn't imply that people from other age groups are not eligible for hair transplant. It is recommended to get the process done only after consultation with the transplant experts.
Can hair transplant be done on a small portion first?
Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure and it is recommended to go forward with it completely and only after you have confidence in the procedure.
Do grafts get enough blood supply When transplanted in large numbers?
The blood supply of the scalp is so great that it sustains the growth of newly transplant grafts at one time. However, if the grafts are too large or if the sites are placed too close together then the blood supply can be overwhelmed which might result in poor growth. Blood flow also gets compromised by sun exposure and smoking.