Dr. Ivan Randal Ranatunga is a well-known Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon in Malaysia. At present, he is working at Pantai hospital Ampang. With the experience of more than 24 years, he specializes in Spine Surgery. He did MBBS in 1997 followed by a Master's in Orthopaedic Surgery from the University of Malaya. He completed his fellowship in Spine Surgery from Singapore. Dr. Ivan Randal Ranatunga is well-versed with the treatment of Slipped disc, Lower back pain, and Spine surgery.
Arthroscopic Debridement of Calcium Deposits
It's the process by which abnormal calcium deposits are removed from the tendons of the muscles using an arthroscope (instrument to view the joint).
Calcific tendonitis is substantially seen in the age group 40-60 years. Tendonitis means pain and lump of the tendons, and when the cause is a build-up of deposits of calcium it's called calcific tendonitis.
The common spots are
Shoulder conjoint Calcium deposits in the shoulder lead to shoulder tendonitis- giving rise to pain and lump. It's known as rotator cuff tendinitis since it involves the muscles, tendons, and bursa girding the shoulder joint.
Other less common spots are the knee joint, wrist joint, and hipsterism joint.
Causes of Calcific Tendonitis
There are different propositions to explain the cause; below are the two important bones
- Regenerative Calcification Wear and tear because of old age leads to mending by a calcium deposit.
- Reactive Calcification Clear understanding as to why it occurs isn't known, but in simple words, calcium chargers deposit over the tendons.
- Symptoms of Shoulder Tendonitis
- Pain, swelling, and greenishness around the joints
- . Raising the arm may be painful
- Stiffness and weakness of the shoulder
- Pain may indeed awaken the case from sleep
The deposits are veritably easily visible on the X shaft. Ultrasound can also be helpful.
Treating it's a skillful work still, the results are encouraging for the cases. Some of the important treatment ways include-
- Medicines to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Injections into the joint to aspirate out the fluid when there's a severe lump.
- Shoulder tendonitis exercises A physical therapist will guide you as to how to do exercises at home to help recurrences and relieve pain.
- Shock surge remedy Shock surge beats are used to break down the deposits.
- Still, surgery is advised, If there's no relief and the condition worsens.
- Arthroscopic Debridement of Calcium Deposits
- Small lacerations are made over the shoulder joint allowing the arthroscope and other surgical instruments to enter the joint.
- The arthroscope is used by the surgeon to locate the calcium deposits and remove them.
- The area is irrigated and gutted.
- Care and follow up after surgery
- It generally takes 6-8 weeks for complete recovery after an arthroscopic debridement procedure.
- Step by step physical remedy for strengthening the muscles is vital.
- It takes around 3-4 weeks for a case to move the common freely.
- The doctor may give a sling to support the joint for many days.
- Movements should be within the range suggested by the physical therapist to avoid trauma.
- Alternate measures like ice, electrical stimulation, massages to relieve pain can be used only if suggested by the croaker.
Follow all your doctor's instructions and take medicines regularly for a timely recovery. For more details contact Dr. Ivan Randal Ranatunga one of the Best Spine surgeons in Malaysia working at Pantai Hospital Ampang.