With over 23 years of expertise, Dr Shivakumar S Kupanur is one of the best neurosurgeons in Bangalore. Dr Shivakumar S Kupanur has conducted over 3000 complicated neurosurgeries and spinal operations, with a focus on stereotactic, functional neurosurgery, and awake craniotomy surgeries for eloquent lesions, among other treatments. He is also an active member of the Neurological Society of Indian (NSI), Bangalore Neurological Society (BNS), and an associate member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), and AO Spine. He is currently associated with Sparsh Hospital (Yeshwanthpur) Bangalore.
He completed his MBBS in 1996 from Mysore University, after which he further pursued DNB in Neurosurgery from Manipal Institute for Neurological Disorder (MIND), Bangalore in 2006. He has also undergone special training for vascular surgery and complex spine surgery and has s Fellowship from Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore on the same, which he did in 2012. He also has a great academic and research interest in the field of neurosurgery, having presented and published several articles at various conferences, continuing medical education events, and journals. Dr Shivakumar S Kupanur has worked as a HOD at Sapthagiri Super Specialty Hospital and as a Consultant at BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals in Bangalore and Manipal Hospital (Old Airport Road) in Bangalore for many years.
Dr Shivakumar S Kupanur’s specialization
- Radiosurgery (Cyberknife, Gamma Knife)
- Spine Surgery
- Surgery for Epilepsy
- DBS Surgery for Parkinson's Disease
- Brachial Plexus and Nerve surgery
- Cerebrovascular Surgery (Aneurysms, AVMs)
- Skull Base Surgery
- Narcolepsy Treatment
- Multiple Sclerosis Treatment
- Liberation Treatment
- Sensory Ataxia Treatment
- Craniotomy Surgery
- Deep Brain Stimulation
What Does a Neurosurgeon Do?
A neurosurgeon is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of disorders of the central and peripheral nervous systems, such as congenital defects, trauma, tumors, vascular disorders, brain or spine infections, stroke, or degenerative spine diseases. Most neurosurgeons nowadays do more spine operations than brain surgery. Some best neurosurgeons in India specialize in a particular type of spinal issue, such as cervical (neck) and lumbar (low back) disorders, spinal cord damage, or a certain age range. Infants and children are treated by pediatric neurosurgeons, whereas adults are treated by adult neurosurgeons.
India is considered one of the best medical tourism destinations globally and every year a large number of medical tourists visit the country for high-quality and affordable treatments. The country has some of the best internationally accredited hospitals with all the amenities and advanced technologies for treatment. The cost of Brain Tumor Surgery in India is around USD 1300 to USD 6500 whereas, the same surgery in the US costs around USD 73,000. This is is the significant reason why people prefer India as compared to other nations.
What is ataxia?
A loss of muscular control or coordination of voluntary motions, such as walking or picking up items, is referred to as ataxia. Ataxia is a symptom of an underlying disease that affects numerous motions and can cause problems with speech, eye movement, and swallowing. Damage to the region of the brain that regulates muscular coordination is the most common cause of persistent ataxia (cerebellum). Damage to several parts of the central nervous system causes ataxia.
Causes of Ataxia
- Ataxia can be caused by a blockage or bleeding in the brain. Brain cells die when the blood supply to a region of the brain is cut off or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and nutrition.
- Ataxia can be caused by alcohol and drug intoxication, heavy metal toxicity, such as lead or mercury poisoning, and solvent poisoning, such as paint thinner poisoning.
- Ataxia can be caused by multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, celiac disease, and other autoimmune diseases.
- Trauma to the head, such as in a vehicle accident, can cause acute cerebellar ataxia
Symptoms of Ataxia
- difficulty swallowing
- tremors, shaking or trembling in parts of the body
- Change in speech
- problems with balance
- vision and hearing problems
- Difficulty with fine motor tasks, such as eating, writing
The most effective treatment for your ataxia symptoms is determined by the type of ataxia you have. Ataxia does not have a particular therapy. If your ataxia is a symptom of another disorder, your doctor will treat that disorder.
- In case of muscle spasms,weaknessTremor and stiffness symptoms, the doctor may recommend medicine as well as physical or occupational therapy to assist a person increase their strength, mobility, and find new methods to do activities.
- The doctor may recommend adaptive devices. They include: Hiking sticks or walkers for walking, Modified utensils for eating, Communication aids for speaking
- Therapies: Physical therapy can help you improve your coordination and mobility, Occupational therapy can assist you with daily chores like feeding yourself, Speaking therapy to help with swallowing and enhance speech
- Vitamin supplements and a special diet, or both may help people who have a deficiency
- Gamma-globulin injections to strengthen the immune system may be used to treat ataxia-telangiectasia.