Diagnosis for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The procedure is not recommended for everyone. The individual must meet various criteria :
- Have a body mass index of 40 or more
- Have a body mass index of 35 and other morbidity related medical conditions
- Should be between ages of 18 and 65 yrs
- Should have tried other weight loss methods
- Should be healthy to have a surgery
- Must be aware of the potential risks and side effects
- Must be willing to make lifestyle changes
- Should be psychologically healthy
Procedure for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Patient will be evaluated by the surgical team, clinical dietitian and a psychologist.
- Complete medical and surgical history will be taken .
- Series of preoperative blood tests and x-rays are performed to check fitness for surgery
- If you are a smoker, you will be advised to stop smoking
- You will be also advised to restrict certain medications before surgery
- The surgeon will explain you regarding the benefits, potential risks , after care after the surgery .
During the Procedure
- The surgery takes about an hour.
- Surgeon will make a few small cuts in your stomach and insert a laparoscope to view the inside
- The surgeon will then insert other medical instruments and remove 3/4 of your stomach.
- The remaining stomach is reattached to form "sleeve" or tube.
- The procedure cannot be reversed
- Hospitalization for 2-3 days before being discharged.
- The patient is shifted to recovery with constant monitoring of the vitals
- There is pain during recovery , each person experiences pain differently.
- Bowel movements Bowel movements may be difficult or painful. Constipation is present the first week post-operative.
- Activity –Walk, Don’t lift anything heavy. You will feel fatigued and tired for up to a month after surgery due to the reduced calorie consumption.
- Advised to take liquids at regular intervals to avoid dehydration.
Factors Affecting Cost of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- The room charges , OT , procedure charges
- Fee for the surgeon and team of doctors.
- Cost of medicines
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure.
Complications of Gastric sleeve surgery
The surgeon performing the surgery will discuss with the bariatric patients both the benefits and risks of this procedure. Sleeve gastrectomy may cause complications like :
- Sleeve leaking
- Blood clots
- Wound infections
- Bowel obstruction
- Aversion to food and nausea
- Gastroparesis a delay in moving food from the stomach to the small intestine
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)