Techniques used for Breast Reduction
There are various techniques used for Breast Reduction:
- Vertical Scar technique (lollipop incision)- The vertical-scar reduction mammoplasty is best suited for removing small areas of the skin and small volumes of tissues leaving short incision scars.
- Horizontal Scar technique- This is performed with a horizontal incision along the inframammary fold and a nipple-areola complex, the potential disadvantages are box-shaped breasts with thick incision scars.
- Free Nipple-Graft technique- The advantage is the greater volume of breast tissues can be resected. The disadvantage is a breast without a sensitive nipple-areola complex, and without lactation capability.
- Liposuction-only technique (lipectomy)- The advantages are the small incision-scars required so, a shorter post-operative healing period for the incision scars; the disadvantage is limited breast-reduction.
- Inverted-T incision- is performed with a incision to the nipple-areola complex, which extends downwards, following the natural curve of the breast hemisphere. This technique effectively reduces the very enlarged breasts of macromastia and gigantomastia.
There is no absolute test for Breast Reduction, it is a personal decision of patient, usually performed to:
- Ease discomfort like back and neck pain skin irritation, and posture problems, constant pull of heavy breasts leave painful indentations of bra straps
- Achieve a breast size proportionate to body.
- Help improve self-confidence as large inproportionate breasts can be embarrassing
Tests for Breast Reduction Surgery
- Examination of breasts taking photographs and measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of your nipples and areola
- Mammogram before surgery
Before the Procedure
- The surgeon will evaluate your medical history and overall health various lab tests to declare you fit or surgery.
- Get a mammogram, Examine and measure your breasts, take photographs of your breasts.
- Discuss your expectations for breast size and appearance after the surgery, will explain detailed description of the procedure and its risks and benefits.
- Avoid smoking for a certain period of time before and after surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin to control bleeding during surgery.
During the Procedure
- Breast reduction surgery is done under general anesthesia, the surgery usually takes 3 to 5 hours.
- The technique used may vary.
- Generally, the surgeon makes an incision around the areola and down the breast.
- Excess breast tissue, fat and skin are then removed to reduce the size of each breast. Sometimes the nipple and areola have to be removed and repositioned.
After the procedure
- Your breasts will be covered with a gauze dressing or bandages.
- A tube might be placed to drain any excess blood or fluid.
- Your breasts will probably feel tender and sensitive. They might also be swollen and bruised. Your surgeon will prescribe medication for pain as well as antibiotics to decrease your risk of infection.
- Stitches will be removed in 1-2 weeks.
- You may have to wear compression or surgical bra initially as it helps reduce the swelling and provides support to the breasts.
- You'll need to limit physical activity for two to four weeks while the breasts heal.
- Scarring usually fades over time.
Complications of Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery has risks as any other surgery
- Excessive bleeding during surgery
- Scarring Breast reduction surgery leaves scars on the breasts; the incisions usually can be limited to areas of the breast that can be covered by a bra
- Blood clots
- Loss of sensation in the nipples and areola , which is often temporary
- Difficulty or inability to breast-feed
- Asymmetry of the surgically altered left and right breasts
Factors Affecting the Cost of Breast Reduction Procedure
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for
- Operating room, recovery room charges
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthetist, dietician etc)
- Medicines and sterile dressings
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options : Type of technique used
Top Doctors For Breast Reduction Treatment in India View all (8)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Breast Reduction Treatment in India View all (70)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Single Specialty | New Delhi
Multi Specialty | Chennai
Single Specialty | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | Gurgaon
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Breast Reduction In India
Dr. Vipul Nanda Explains the Three Common Cosmetic Breast Surgery Procedures of Breast Augmentation, Breast Reduction and Breast Lift
Breast Augmentation and Reduction Explained by Dr. Charu Sharma of Gorzeous Looks, New Delhi
Patient Testimonials For Cosmetic And Plastic Surgery Procedures in India