Breast Lift or Mastopexy in India
A breast lift also known as mastopexy is a surgical procedure that raises and firms the breast to enhance their shape and appearance. Breast lift is required in cases with excessive sagging of the breast
It is achieved by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue and raising the nipple resulting in higher , firmer breasts. Stretched areola can also be reduced during breast lift procedure .
In the following sections you will know about:
Types and Diagnosis for Breast Lift Procedure
Cost of Breast Lift procedure
Procedure and complications of Breast Lift Procedure
Leading doctors and hospitals for Breast Lift Procedure
Frequently asked questions about Breast Lift Procedure
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Breast Lift Surgery In India
Three Common Cosmetic Breast Surgery Procedures Explained by Dr. Vipul Nanda
Patient Testimonials For Cosmetic And Plastic Surgery Procedures in India
Top Doctors For Breast Lift Surgery Treatment in India View all (8)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Breast Lift Surgery Treatment in India View all (28)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Types of Breast Lifts Surgery
Cosmetic surgeons use a variety of incision techniques for breast lift surgery, the exact technique used will vary for each patient depending on the sagging and the amount of excess skin to be removed.
Crescent Lift:It involves a small incision running halfway around the top half of the edge of the areola, in this technique there is minimal scarring .generally used to elevate the nipple and areola , amount of change is limited .
Donut Lift: It is used for women requiring small breast lift , it involves a circular incision (ring of skin )around the areola, This lift can also be effective in helping reduce areola size.
Vertical or “Lollipop” Lift: This type of breast lift is commonly used , it involves 2 incisions: Around the areola and vertically down from the areola to the breast crease creating a “lollipop” shape thus the name , It helps correct moderate sagging .
Inverted T or “Anchor” Lift:This is used in cases with extensive sagging ,and allows a cosmetic surgeon to remove a significant amount of excess skin and sagging tissues. This technique involves 3 incisions: one around the edge of the areola, one vertically from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease, and one horizontally along the breast crease.
Diagnosis for a Breast Lift
There is no absolute test for breast lift , it is a personal decision of patient
- Stand in front of a mirror and see if your nipple falls below the level of the under-breast crease. You may decide to look into a breast lift and/or augmentation.
- Pencil test – place a pencil under the crease in the breast and if it stays there without holding it , then you should think for breast lift .
- If your nipples are pointed downward, that is a common reason many women choose to have a breast lift.
Tests for a Breast Lift
- Examination of breasts taking photographs and measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of your nipples and areola
- Mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue
Procedure for Breast Lift
Before Breast lift procedure :
- The surgeon will evaluate your general health status , previous surgical history
- Past and present Medical history , drug allergies
- Family history of breast cancer
- Examine your breasts , Discuss likely outcomes of breast lift surgery and any risks or potential complications
- Adjust your current medications, and even stop few medications like aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs .
- Adviced to Stop smoking few months before surgery
During Breast Lift Procedure :
Step 1 – Anesthesia ,usually procedure performed under general anesthesia
Step 2 – Incision ,Breast lift procedure can be achieved through a variety of incision patterns and technique. The exact technique used will vary based on a patient’s degree of breast sagging , the amount of excess skin to be removed, size and position of areola
Commonly used techniques
- Crescent Lift
- Donut Lift
- Vertical or “Lollipop” Lift
- Inverted T or “Anchor” Lift
Step 3 After your doctor makes the incisions:
- The underlying breast tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve breast contour and firmness , excess breast skin removed
- The nipple and areola are repositioned
- If augmentation procedure also performed then implant placed
Step 4 – Closing the incisions
- After your breasts are reshaped and excess skin is removed, the incisions are closed. Sutures or surgical tape may be used to close the skin.
- Some incision lines are concealed in the natural breast contours, Incision lines will fade though not permanently disappear .
After the procedure
- There will be some soreness and swelling ,there may be loss of sensation to nipples for first few days .
- Dressings or bandages will be applied to the incisions after the procedure is completed.
- A drain may be placed temporarily to drain excess blood or fluid
- You'll need to wear an elastic bandage or support bra to support the breasts and minimize swelling .
- Your cosmetic surgeon will prescribe medication to reduce pain , aid healing and prevent infection .
Complication of Breast Lift Procedure
There is risk associated with every procedure which maybe
- Poor healing of incisions
- Partial or total loss of sensation in nipple or breast which may be temporary or permanent
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Breast asymmetry
- Fluid accumulation
Factors Affecting the Cost of Breast Lift Procedure
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Operating room, recovery room charges
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons ,Anesthesist , dietician etc )
- Medicines and sterile dressings
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- Depend on the treatment options : Type of technique and Implant if used