Treatments and Cost Related to Brain Tumor Surgery
Symptoms for Brain Tumour
The symptoms of a brain tumour mostly vary depending on the exact part of the brain that is affected. Common symptoms include:
- Severe, persistent headaches
- Seizures (fits)
- Persistent nausea, vomiting and drowsiness
- Mental or behavioural changes, such as memory problems or changes in personality
- Hand tremors
- Progressive weakness or paralysis on one side of the body
- Vision problems, or speech problems
- Loss of memory
Medical Tests For Detecting Brain Tumour
To diagnose a brain tumour, the doctor starts by
- Asking questions about the symptoms
- Then a personal & family history is taken
- A physical examination is done ,which includes a neurological examination
If brain tumour is suspected then the doctor may advise one or more of the following tests:
- CT(CAT) scan or MRI to see detailed images of the brain
- Angiogram or MRA, which involve the use of dye and X-rays of blood vessels in the brain to look for signs of a tumour or abnormal blood vessels
- Skull x-ray
- Biopsy is advised to check or not its cancerous
Treatment for Brain Tumour
The treatment options for brain tumour are:
- Radiation therapy
Surgery is the initial step in the treatment of most of the benign and malignant tumours.
Procedure For Brain Tumor Treatment
It is performed under general anaesthesia & the procedure can take 4-8 hours.
- A small area of the head may be shaved and the patient may be given an local anaesthetic to part of the scalp
- An incision (cut) is made in the scalp and a small part of the skull ('bone flap') will be removed.
- Awake Craniotomy: In this, the patient will be woken at this point to allow the doctor to map where the functions of the brain are located in the brain. Patient may have a feeling of pulling out something but should not feel pain as the brain itself cannot feel pain.
- As much of the tumour as is safely possible, will be removed
- Bone flap will be replaced and the wound closed using stitches or metal clip.
- Patients are mostly put on steroids to help with any swelling.
The patient is required to stay in the hospital for 3-7 days.
Factors Affecting Cost of Brain Tumour Treatment
Following are the factors which will affect the treatment cost:
- The hospital patient is opting for.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Operating room, ICU
- Fee for the team of doctors (Surgeons, Anesthesist, Physiotherapist, Dietician)
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures
- The type of surgery performed
- Micro surgery
- Gamma Knife Surgery
Top Doctors For Brain Tumor Surgery Treatment in India View all (71)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Top Hospitals For Brain Tumor Surgery Treatment in India View all (76)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 60+ countries
Videos Related to Brain Tumor Surgery In India
Dr. Arun Saroha Talks about Pituitary Tumor and Its Various Advanced Treatment Procedures
Dr. Sandeep Vaishya Speaks about Minimally Invasive Techniques to Remove Spinal and Brain Meningiomas
Director of Neurosurgery at FMRI, Dr Sandeep Vaishya, Talks about Meningioma and its Treatment in India
Shiela Boahen's Experience of Successful Brain Tumour Surgery in India
Brain Tumor Removal Surgery
Cyberknife Treatment Explained by Dr. Aditya Gupta of Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
Brain Tumor Surgery Explained by Dr. Vikas Gupta of Manipal Hospitals, New Delhi
Keyhole Surgery for Brain Tumor Explained by Dr. Mazda Turel of Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
Patient Testimonials For Neurology And Neurosurgery Procedures in India