Bypass surgery is the most common type of surgery that is performed by heart surgeons every year. It is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. It aims to replace the coronary artery (blocked or damaged). The function of the coronary artery is to supply oxygenated blood to the heart. When there is a restriction in the blood supply to the heart, the heart will not be able to function properly leading to heart failure.
Bypass surgery is performed to improve the blood flow of the heart which has been blocked by plaque (atherosclerosis) or blood clots. The surgery involves taking a piece of (artery or vein) from somewhere else in the body and creates an alternative route or a bypass through the blocked area of the coronary artery.
Cost of CABG in Mumbai
The approximate heart bypass surgery cost in India is much less as compared to that in other developed nations. The surgery cost in Mumbai may range from 4500 USD to 6000 USD (325005 INR to 433341 INR).
The patient is required to stay in the hospital for approximately 8 days, which includes 1-2 days in ICU and 4-5 days under observation. Other than this, he/she would need to stay in India for 15-20 days.
Which are the best cardiac surgeons in Mumbai?
Dr Purushottam Kale
- Senior consultant at Fortis Hospital Mulund.
- Experience - 46 years.
- President of Indian Society of Electrocardiology between 1991 and 1992.
Recommended: Who needs heart surgery?
Dr. Jamshed Dalal
- Senior consultant cardiologist at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital.
- Has an experience of more than 37 years and has performed more than 3000 Cardiac Cath procedures.
- Pioneer of the angiography program in Mumbai in 1984.
Dr Nandkishore Kapadia
- The cardiothoracic surgeon at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
- Holds an experience of more than 28 years and has performed over 5000 cardiovascular procedures.
- Also performed more than 10,000 CABG and 5000 other open-heart procedures.
Dr Rohit Shahapurkar
- A cardiothoracic surgeon at Nanavati Super Speciality Hospital.
- Holds an experience of 23 years.
- His special interest lies in Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Heart Transplant, Beating heart CABG, and revision heart surgery.
Dr Chhaya P Vaja
- A renowned cardiologist at Global Hospital, Mumbai
- Holds an experience of more than 26 years.
- Treats all kinds of non-invasive cardiological problems.
- Also, have expertise in General Medicine.
Top cardiac surgery hospitals in Mumbai
New Age Wockhardt Hospital
- It was the first in the World to do conscious off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery.
- It has performed more than 3000 angioplasties without any mortality since 1990.
- There are 50 cardiologists and cardiac surgeons in the cardiology team.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital
- The cardiologists in the hospital have performed more than 1700 cardiac angioplasties and more than 2600 cardiac surgeries.
- There is a separate section for cardiac electrophysiology to deal with cardiac rhythm abnormalities with a provision of the Stress test, 2D Echo, Tilt Table testing, 64 slice dual-source CT scan for CT coronary angiography.
- There is special provision for minimally invasive valve replacement such as key-hole surgery, beating heart coronary artery bypass grafting and awake cardiac surgery.
Nanavati Super Speciality Hospital, Mumbai
- The hospital is well-equipped to perform surgeries such as vascular surgeries, aortic root surgery, left ventricular reconstruction, repair of postinfarction ventricular septal rupture, primary cardiac tumours and many more.
- There is a separate unit for pediatric patients having specialized pediatric cardiac surgeons who are experts in performing pediatric heart defect operations, congenital heart defects, pediatric open-heart surgeries etc.
- The team is highly skilled and experienced to access the cardiac conditions by non-invasive procedures such as Dimensional Echocardiography With Colour Doppler Studies With Added 3D Echocardiography Facilities, Transesophageal Echocardiography Including 3D Tee, Study For Cardiac Dys-Synchrony, Loop recorder and many more.
Global Hospital, Mumbai
- Established in 1996, the hospital is accredited with NABH, NABL, and JCI.
- The doctors perform around 18,000 surgeries each year.
- It treats 30,000 outpatients and 50,000 inpatients every year.
- First Hospital to introduce the Two Wheeler Ambulance Service (GART- Global Accident Rescue Team)
Why is Mumbai a preferred place for heart bypass surgery in India?
This is one of the most prominent cities in India. The place is a nucleus point when it comes to establishing business and other events in the healthcare system. Mumbai is a vivacious city with sociable people and warm hospitality. Since the city is densely populated, there are numerous hospitals both in private and public sectors. Most of the hospitals match international standards. Most of the staff is well-versed in English.
Mumbai is not only a significant destination for business and tourism, it has a fair representation of the urban healthcare sector in India due to high standards of healthcare facilities. The city falls in the category of the topmost places providing the latest treatment facilities in India. Top hospitals in Mumbai include Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Neurogen Brain & spine Institute, Fortis hospital and Nanavati super speciality hospital.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai is the second-busiest airport in terms of international passenger traffic after New Delhi. There are three operating terminals spread over the land of 750 hectares and 950 aircraft movements per day. It has also won the “Best Airport in India and Central Asia” award in 2016.