- When a woman of 32 was declared brain dead at PGI Hospital, Chandigarh, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute (FEHI) performed their 6th heart transplant.
- The 13-year-old patient at FEHI was suffering from heart failure due to viral myocarditis with an ejection fraction of barely 15 - 20%.
- It was the third time that the child was admitted to FEHI for his cardiac disease.
- After extracting the heart from the deceased donor, it was flown to Delhi and taken to the hospital in two hours.
- A green corridor was created for transporting the heart.
- At FEHI the transplant was performed by Dr. Z.S Meharwal, director of cardiovascular and transplant surgery.
- Though the doctors thought that the match will not possible, it turned out to be a successful transplant at last.
- Such examples of voluntary donation of deceased's heart by its family member serves as an example that a life can be saved through such generosity and charity, said Dr. Ashok Seth, chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute.
Source: Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Media Update