- Fetus in fetu is an unusual and rare pediatric condition accounting to only 100 to 200 cases worldwide.
- It is a develomental deformity in which one of the foetus of the twins get enveloped by the other.
- During a regular scan, Bhavna Thorat, the radiologist of Bilal Hospital near Mumbai detected the abnormal mass and found out that it was a partially formed baby with arms, limbs and brain.
- Weighing 150 gm, the 7cm foetus was located right behind the baby boy's stomach.
- Post birth scans revealed that the partially developed twin was living off his brother's nutrition and posed to be fatal.
- After a referral, the team of gynecologists at Titan Hospital removed the mass from the baby's abdomen successfully.
- According to the gynecologist Dr. Neena Nichlani at Titan Hospital, this condition can be defined as monozygotic twin pregnancy that shares a single placenta.
- As per reports, both the baby and the mother are stable now.
Titan Hospital, Media Update