A procedure as a part of which the diseased liver is replaced with a healthy liver (partial or complete), donated from another person. The most commonly followed technique for a liver transplant is known as orthotopic transplantation. This technique involves the removal of the diseased liver and replacing it with the donor organ, placing it in the same anatomic position as that of the original liver. The liver transplant is a complex surgical procedure, which is only performed at the designated and recognized transplant centres.
Helpful: Who Needs a Liver transplant?
Why is a liver transplant needed?
Liver transplant is essential in cases of complete liver failure, where all other treatments have failed. Most common ailments that require liver transplant are:
- Hepatitis B or C along with liver cirrhosis.
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Genetic disease including hemochromatosis
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Biliary atresia
Cost of liver transplant in Delhi
Fortunately, the liver transplant cost in India is much more affordable as compared to other places. On average, it may cost you around 38000 USD to 44000 USD (2725949 INR to 3156362 INR). However, the exact cost may depend upon several other factors such as,
- Fees of the liver transplant surgeon
- Cost of medications
- Type of accommodation
- The city and the hospital
- The Complexity of the case.
Helpful: Liver Transplant Cost in India
Hospital stay - Usually, the patients have to stay in the hospital for 20-25 days after the surgery. The days may increase if there are any complications. Outside the hospital, the stay has to be for at least 40 days to have subsequent checkups. On the other hand, the donor has to stay for at least 3-4 days in the hospital.
The lab investigations required before the surgery are blood tests, chest x-ray, lung function, ECG, Echocardiography, coronary angiography, kidney function tests, ultrasound scan, MRI, CT scan, liver biopsy, and endoscopy.
Best liver transplant hospitals in Delhi
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital
- Established in 1996, Apollo hospital is accredited with NABH, NABL, and JCI.
- It was the first hospital to do the pediatric liver transplant in 1998.
- The hospital has 10,000 beds across 64 hospitals, more than 2200 pharmacies, and more than 100 primary care centres.
BLK Super speciality hospital
- BLK hospital is also accredited with NABH and NABL.
- The hospital has one of the largest critical care programmes in the region with 125 beds in different intensive care units.
- It is the first of its kind to start the use of automatic pneumatic chute system enhancing health care.
Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket
- The hospital was founded in 2006 and received DL Shah National Award by Quality Council of India.
- Accredited by NABH and NABL.
- Honoured with the First Global Green OT Accreditation.
Manipal Hospital, Dwarka
- It was established in 1953.
- The group has 15 hospitals with more than 5900 beds.
- It is a leading healthcare network, treating more than 2 million patients each year.
Top liver doctors in Delhi
Dr Anupam Saha
- Experience - More than 20 years.
- Has done more than 250 liver transplants in adults and pediatric patients.
- Expert in living and deceased donor liver transplant, liver resection, biliary cancer, and pancreatic resection.
Dr Anil C Anand
- Experience - More than 20 years.
- Works as a senior consultant in Hepatology at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital.
- He also constructed the first streamlined Endoscopic Suite in a Command Hospital.
Dr Abhijit Shrivastava
- Experience - 12 + years
- He has performed more than 1500 liver transplants including deceased donor, living donor, and pediatric transplant.
- He has been a member of the team pioneering in liver transplants in India and involved in innovations in living donor liver transplant such as ABOI, minimally invasive donor hepatectomy and dual liver transplant.
Dr Sanjay Singh Negi
- Experience - 19+ years
- Works as senior consultant and director in HPB surgery & liver transplantation.
- He is the first India doctor to receive an award in the field of transplant surgery.
What makes Delhi a preferred place for medical treatment in India?
- Economical cost
- Qualified doctors
- Online consistency
- Lesser waiting time
- Advanced infrastructure
- Standard guidelines for hygiene and sterility
- Low cost for travel, stay and other expenses
- Availability of medical visa
Special provisions for International Patients
The best neurosurgery hospitals in New Delhi have a special desk for international patients. The staff ensures a smooth experience of international patients in New Delhi. One can easily approach the international desk for any of the following cases:
- Extension of the medical visa
- Special dietary preferences
- Followup services after going back home.
- Hospital stay as per the preferences
- Assistance in applying for medical visa
- Language interpretation system for the patients such as French, Arabic etc.
- There is Foreign Regional Registration Office is also located in Delhi for those who may need medical visa extension and or any other issue related to medical visa.
Airport connectivity in New Delhi
Delhi airport namely, Indira Gandhi International Airport is one of the largest international airports both for domestic and international civilian air traffic. It is the busiest airport in India and South Asia, situated 16 km away from the city centre. The railway station is located nearly 4.8 km from the airport. The IGI airport is also connected to 8 lanes Delhi-Gurgaon express highway. The airport handles nearly 37 million passengers annually. The airport was awarded for the “World’s Best Airport” at Airport Service Quality Awards 2017 in the highest category of airports handling more than 40 million passengers annually.