Scoliosis Spine Surgery Cost In ThailandChat
What is Scoliosis Spine Surgery?
Scoliosis Spine Surgery is done to realign and fuse the curved vertebrae so that they heal into a single, solid bone.
Scoliosis surgeons can improve curves significantly with the tools and technology available today.
How is the Procedure Performed?
Scoliosis spine surgery involves several small incisions along the back. The surgeon then inserts a device called a tubular retractor.
This lets the surgeon reach the spine with small tools, and screws are attached to the spine to help make it straighter.
Who is the Right Doctor for Scoliosis Spine Surgery?
The right doctor to consult for Scoliosis Spine Surgery is a Spine Surgeon and an Orthopedic Surgeon.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
The success rate varies between 71-74%.
The cost of Scoliosis includes:
Preoperative diagnostic tests cost (X-ray or MRI may be done to evaluate the spine)
Post-Operative cost (depends on the number of follow-up sessions)
Types of Surgery - Spinal fusion, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy, Diskectomy, Disk replacement, Interlaminal implantation, Scoliosis correction and fixation of a damaged or broken spine
Medicine cost (anti-inflammatory, painkillers, etc.)
Physiotherapy (a few sessions are required in case of Spine Surgery)
Patient's hospital stay
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
Type of hospital and room opted (General, Twin sharing, or Single room)
The severity of the disease
Post-surgical complication, if it happens (such as Nerve injury or Paralysis)
Cost of Blood products (if required)
Age of the patient
An extended stay at the hospital
Cost of accommodation during follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident
Cost related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Thailand
|Treatment name||Cost range|
|Scoliosis Spine Surgery||USD 10800 to USD 13200|
|Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Treatment||USD 10800 to USD 13200|
Help Us With Patient Details
Images Related To Scoliosis Spine Surgery
Types of Spinal deformities.
Types of Scoliosis.
Overview of Scoliosis treatment.
Scoliosis treatment procedure.
Top hospitals and doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in ThailandFilter
Showing 31 Hospitals and doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Thailand
- Established in 1972, the Bangkok Hospital is one of the first private hospitals in Thailand; it has now established its reputation as a tertiary care hospital dedicated especially to Cancer and Cardiology.
- It has Centres & Clinics committed to comprehensive treatment in different medical and surgical departments such as Cardiology, Cancer, Orthopaedics & Spine Surgery, Neurology & Neuroscience, Fertility, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Dentistry, Geriatric, Gastroenterology, Liver, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, and ENT.
- It offers several Health Packages on Fertility, Plastic Surgery, Lasik Eye Surgery, Hip & Knee Surgery, Obesity, Vascular Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery and many more.
- It is equipped with the latest cutting-edge technologies some of which are - the 256-Slice Multi-Detector CT Scan, Cardiovascular MRI, the first Cartosound in Thailand, LINAC, the ARTIS Pheno machine, PET/CT Scan, and a New X-RAY Biplane Imaging (EOS).
- Having the ultimate "Hybrid Operating Room Full Function", enables the hospital to improve accuracy making it a leader in heart surgery.
- The Hospital has been awarded various accreditations by the Joint Commission International (JCI) in Programmes such as Traumatic Brain Injury, Total Knee Replacement, Acute Coronary Syndrome, Primary Stroke, Low Back Pain, Diabetes Type 2, Breast Cancer Conserving, and Heart Failure.
- It has also received the Hospital Accreditation of Thailand, Asian Hospital Management Award, Global Health Asia-Pacific Awards, and a Dual Medical Transport Accreditation i.e CAMTS USA and CAMTS GLOBAL.
- It provides International Medical Services for foreign patients by assisting them in language translations, special diets, accommodation, liaising with embassies or organisations, and free medical consultations via internet.
Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital, Bangkok
- Established in 1979, Samitivej Hospital is one of the leading private hospital groups in Thailand and SEA and is accredited by JCI.
- It is the first Hospital outside Japan to be accredited with the Japan Council for Quality Health Care (JCQHC) award.
- Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital is part of the seven private hospitals owned by the Bangkok Dusit Medical Services (BDMS), a leading and trusted private healthcare service provider in Thailand and ASEAN countries.
- It is a 275-bed tertiary care hospital with more than 40 Speciality Centres, namely, the Liver & Digestive Institute, Women's Health Centre including Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Bone, Joint, and Spine Centre, Surgery Clinic, Heart Institute, Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplantation Centre, Breast Centre, Fertility Centre, Hair Restoration Medical centre, Knee Health Centre, Neurology Centre, Oncology Centre to mention a few.
- Moreover, there is a Children's Hospital that is dedicated to comprehensive Paediatric care covering Newborns, GI, Oncology, Orthopaedics, Oncology, and others. It is the first private children's hospital in Thailand.
- In 1998, it was certified by UNICEF, WHO, the Department of Health, and the Ministry of Public Health, as a mother and baby-friendly hospital.
- It is one of the favourite medical destinations for both the nationals and expats, along with tourists from around the world providing international quality services and facilities. It was awarded the Top 5 World's Best Hospital for Medical Tourism for 2018 by the Medical Travel Quality Alliance.
- It has been a recipient of many awards, namely, Hospital of the Year by the Thailand Healthcare Asia Awards 2020, The Model Private Hospital Award 2020 for being the top private hospital for academic activity in Thailand, and Best Corporate Hospital Award 2019.
- It was also awarded Thailand's Prime Minister Award for the Most Recognized Service in 2004.
- The hospital is equipped with cutting-edge technologies to diagnose and treat patients with accuracy through a Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine (MRI), 640-slice CT scanner with less radiation, Mammogram, Bone Mineral Density (BMD) analysis, Lower abdominal Ultrasound for Men (Testicle Ultrasound), Cranial Ultrasound for infant, Intravenous Pyelography (IVP) and many more.
- It has a team that assists international patients from finding the right doctor to aftercare at home.
Vejthani Hospital Bangkok, Thailand
- Vejthani Hospital, established in 1994, is one of the leading private international hospitals in Thailand that provides JCI-accredited quaternary health care services.
- Cutting-edge medical technologies, internationally trained specialists, world-class health care standards, and authentic Thai hospitality are their key competencies.
- The hospital serves over 300,000 patients from over 100 countries annually with over 200 inpatient beds.
- Providing a team of knowledgeable translators ensures they are able to communicate effectively in over 20 languages, aptly resolving issues regarding barriers to communication in healthcare.
- Over 300 specialists across multiple specialties at Vejthani Hospital provide a comprehensive range of quaternary medical services, including bone marrow transplant, total joint replacement surgery, kidney transplant, plastic surgery, dental, skin & laser treatment, spine surgery, and gastrointestinal disorder treatment.
- Vejthani Hospital has received one of the highest numbers of Clinical Care Program Certifications (CCPCs) from Joint Commission International (JCI) in the United States, which accredits top-tier hospitals that achieve the highest facilitation for patient safety.
- Vejthani Hospital’s clinical care programs for Diabetes Type II, Hepatitis B, Knee Replacement, and Lumbar Decompression and Fixation have received JCI CCPC.
- As two of the certified fields are subcategories of orthopedics, makes it is popular for patients to claim that the hospital patients gave the hospital the title ‘The King of Bones.
- Vejthani Hospital is the first hospital in the world to receive Hepatitis B CCPC and is the first in Southeast Asia to receive Lumbar Decompression and Fixation CCPC.
Doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Thailand
Spine SurgeonConsultant, 43 years of experience
- Dr. Vera Sathira-Angkura is a senior and an internatioanally-qualified Spine Surgeon with +43 years of experience in the field.
- After completing a spinal surgery training in 1977 from the Queen's Medical Center, Nottingham, England, he did his MD in 1978 from Chiang Mai University, he underwent training for scoliosis at the Loyola University Hospital, Chicago, USA and then completed a diploma from the Federation Internationale de Medicine Sportive in the same year. In 1984, he completed a diploma from the Thai Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Dr. Vera Sathira-Angkura is an expert at performing spine surgeries such as, discectomy, foraminotomy, nucleoplasty, spinal fusion, artificial disk replacement, spinal fusion, kyphoplasty, vertebroplasty and spinal laminectomy. He also treats conditions of the spine such as, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, back pain, ankylosing spondylitis, spinal deformiites/fractures/tumours/cancer.
- He has co-authored few research papers on various aspects of surgically and clinically treating the spine.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Areesak Chotivichit
Spine SurgeonAssociate Professor, 39 years of experience
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Areesak Chotivichit is a reputed Orthopaedic & Joint Replacement Surgeon.
- He has 39 years of vast experience in his field.
- His areas of specialization are total joint replacement and spine surgery.
- He did MD from Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand, in 1982, Fellowship in Total Joint Replacement from University of California, Los Angeles, USA, in 1987.
- He became Diplomate of The American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1994 and also gained Fellowship in Spinal Reconstructive Surgery from Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA, in 1997.
Gp. Capt. Dr. Tayard Buranakarl
Spine SurgeonSenior Consultant, 32 years of experience
- Gp. Capt. Dr. Tayard Buranakarl is a skilled and experienced Spine Surgeon with over 32 years of industry experience.
- Multilevel cervical treatments, scoliosis surgery, and reconstructive lumbar operations using the most cutting-edge Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) techniques are among his areas of expertise.
- He is the Director of the Bangkok Spine Academy and Vice-President of the Thai Spine Society.
- Gp. Capt. Dr. Tayard Buranakarl has completed MD (1989) from Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand.
- He is trained in Orthopedics (1995) from the Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, Thailand.
- He is also trained in Spine Surgery (2000) from Siriraj Hospital, Thailand.
- He has a Fellowship (2017) in Spine Surgery from the Bangkok Hospital Medical Center, Thailand.
- He has a fellowship in Spine Surgery (2000) from UCLA School of Medicine, the University of California, USA.
- Dr. Tayard is the ASEAN group's reference surgeon for Medtronic (the world's largest global spine technology company), as well as assisting with Medtronic surgeon training throughout the Asia-Pacific area.
- Gp. Capt. Dr. Tayard Buranakarl is well-versed in English and Thai.
Scoliosis Spine Surgery Cost - Frequently Asked Questions
Before Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Mild cases of scoliosis may not need treatment. But, moderate to severe scoliosis that is left untreated can lead to pain and increasing deformity, as well as potential heart and lung damage. Also, if it is the case of a young child, the deformity increases drastically with hormone changes happening during puberty.
Spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis is an extensive surgery that is often only considered as a last option. However, it is a major surgery and a big decision that should not be made without first considering all options.
The choice of when to have surgery will vary. After the bones of the skeleton stop growing, the curve should not get much worse. Because of this, the surgeon may wait until your child's bones stop growing. Your child may need surgery before this if the curve in the spine is severe or is getting worse quickly.
A hump in Scoliosis is usually due to the twisted spine becoming prominent or the bent of the ribs. Surgery makes this bent smaller but it will not totally disappear. The surgeon can give the exact picture of how much deformity will be improved after the surgery.
Rarely does adult scoliosis alone cause paralysis or other severe neurologic problems, but it can be associated with lumbar stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal or tube where the nerves lay), which can result in nerve irritation, leg pain and possibly weakness.
Yes, conceiving is not generally hindered after this surgery unless some other limiting factors are also involved. This surgery also does not mean that such women will have to undergo only C-section for delivery as it does not affect undergoing natural birth process.
The length of the scar from spinal fusion surgery depends on the area and number of vertebra that are fused. It also depends on whether posterior or anterior approach has been used for surgery.In the posterior approach, you can typically expect a single scar of 6-12 inches while in the anterior approach, there could be 3-4 incisions measuring nearly 4-6 inches. However, this length varies from person to person
Some patients have back pain after the spinal fusion surgery. It is normally in the upper back or lower spine region. However, it can be easily treated with exercise and other simple measures like medications. But in some cases revision surgery to ease back pain or remove the implants may be required.
Spinal fusion surgery reduces the flexibility of the back but this depends on which region of your back is fused and the length of the spine involved.Surgeries in upper cervical region limit movements of the neck while those in the middle impact forward bending slightly. Surgeries in the lumbar region affect flexibility and restrict certain movements.
Yes, you may need spine surgery if your spine curve is greater than 45 to 50 degree because it may become worse when you grow up it can cause deformity in your back or may affect the functioning of your lungs.
Spinal scoliosis is a very successful surgery which helps in preventing the growth of spine.
As spinal bones protect the spinal cord, your surgeon will make your bone straight as long as it is safe. The degree of correction of the surgery depend on the flexibility of your scoliosis before surgery. If your curve is more flexible you will get more correction from surgery.
After the surgery you will have more pain than before but it will resolve with a period of few weeks to months. Most people get relief from back pain at one year after surgery as it was before.
Scoliosis surgery can correct your spine by 40 to 65% and it totally depends on your flexibility of your spine, type and size of the curve and their age.
During the Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Usually it takes four to six hours.
Hospital stay is usually for 6 days.
In spinal fusion surgery the curved vertebrae fuses and form into a single and solid growth. The bone growth will be stopped to prevent the curve from getting worse. Bone grafts are being placed between the bones to help on fusion when the bone grows together then a broken bone starts healing.
Spine surgery will take around 4 to 8 hours depending on the size of patient’s curve and the amount of spine which needs to be fused.
This surgery is being done during the growing year of the child, rods are attached to the spine for correcting and maintaining the curvature of the spine. In every six to twelve month the child has to be taken for another surgery for lengthening of the rod. Once patient gets close to skeletal maturity, spinal fusion will usually happen.
After Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
A brace supports the spine and keeps it immobilized after surgery to enhance healing. With modern instrumentation techniques, the need for a rigid brace is much reduced. A corset or a soft brace can be used to support the muscles.
Spinal surgery for scoliosis is a major operation and requires long recovery period. During this time post operative visits and follow up checkups are a must to ensure that the recovery is on track. The patient is called for follow up on 12 day of the surgery to remove any stitches and patient can return to home country after that.
Depending on your age you might be ready to return to work or school around 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. This timescale is different for each person. Many patients will be back to normal activity levels around 3 after surgery.
The intensity of pain after surgery varies from patient to patient, as surgery is a major procedure it involves movement of muscles and realigning of the skeleton. Usually the first few days of the surgery are uncomfortable but most people are able to move by third or fourth day of surgery.
If rods are being used in fusion they are not usually removed, very few people require removal of rod. When removal of rod is needed there can be lot of reason for it such as a infection or breakage of rod.
The portion which is being fused in your back is permanently stiff, most people usually works from the unfused portion in their lower back. If you are participating in any activity in which lot of flexibility is being required then it may take time to adapt.
You should limit yourself from avoiding lifting any heavy objects and you have to reduce the level of bending for the first 6 weeks after surgery.
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Spine Surgeon
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals
Treatment videos related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery
FAQ videos related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery
Get assistance for your treatment from our experienced care team !
Help Us With Patient Details
What is the price of Scoliosis Spine Surgery in other countries, compared to Thailand?
Approximate price of Scoliosis Spine Surgery in other countries compared to Thailand is:
- India, USD 8800 to USD 13200, approximately 8% lower than Thailand
- Turkey, USD 14880 to USD 22320, approximately 55% higher than Thailand
- Germany, USD 25600 to USD 38400, approximately 167% higher than Thailand
- Malaysia, USD 17600 to USD 26400, approximately 83% higher than Thailand