Scoliosis Spine Surgery Cost In MalaysiaChat
What is Scoliosis Spine Surgery?
Scoliosis Spine Surgery is done to realign and fuse the curved vertebrae so that they heal into a single, solid bone.
Scoliosis surgeons can improve curves significantly with the tools and technology available today.
How is the Procedure Performed?
Scoliosis spine surgery involves several small incisions along the back. The surgeon then inserts a device called a tubular retractor.
This lets the surgeon reach the spine with small tools, and screws are attached to the spine to help make it straighter.
Who is the Right Doctor for Scoliosis Spine Surgery?
The right doctor to consult for Scoliosis Spine Surgery is a Spine Surgeon and an Orthopedic Surgeon.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
The success rate varies between 71-74%.
The cost of Scoliosis includes:
Preoperative diagnostic tests cost (X-ray or MRI may be done to evaluate the spine)
Post-Operative cost (depends on the number of follow-up sessions)
Types of Surgery - Spinal fusion, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy, Diskectomy, Disk replacement, Interlaminal implantation, Scoliosis correction and fixation of a damaged or broken spine
Medicine cost (anti-inflammatory, painkillers, etc.)
Physiotherapy (a few sessions are required in case of Spine Surgery)
Patient's hospital stay
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
Type of hospital and room opted (General, Twin sharing, or Single room)
The severity of the disease
Post-surgical complication, if it happens (such as Nerve injury or Paralysis)
Cost of Blood products (if required)
Age of the patient
An extended stay at the hospital
Cost of accommodation during follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident
Cost related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Malaysia
|Treatment name||Cost range|
|Scoliosis Spine Surgery||USD 19800 to USD 24200|
|Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Treatment||USD 16200 to USD 19800|
|Early Onset Scoliosis Surgery||USD 14580 to USD 17820|
Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Malaysia
Popular Cities in Malaysia for Scoliosis Spine Surgery are:
Help Us With Patient Details
Images Related To Scoliosis Spine Surgery
Types of Spinal deformities.
Types of Scoliosis.
Overview of Scoliosis treatment.
Scoliosis treatment procedure.
Top hospitals and doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in MalaysiaFilter
Showing 8 Hospitals and doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Malaysia
Gleneagles Hospital, Kuala Lumpur
- Gleneagles Hospital, Kuala Lumpur is one of the leading hospitals in Malaysia accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), the highest international quality accreditation in terms of patient safety and health care services.
- Established in 1996, the hospital is delivering healthcare and excellence for over 25 years.
- The Hospital is particularly known for its Cardiology, Oncology, and Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery.
- It provides comprehensive medical and surgical procedures such as Bariatric Surgery, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, ENT, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Neurosurgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Breast Surgery to mention a few.
- Gleneagles Hospital has one of the most advanced technologies like Gamma Knife and Da Vinci Si Surgery System.
- A well-equipped Imaging Department like Ultrasound Examination, Computed Tomography Scan (C.T. Scan), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Fluoroscopy, Angiography, Non-vascular Interventional Radiology, Mammography, Bone Mineral Densitometry, and General Radiography.
- The Hospital also received several awards namely, the 'International Hospital of the Year,' and 'Highly Commended for Excellence in Customer Service' award from the prestigious International Medical Travel Journal in 2018. It also received the 'Best Health Screening Provider in Asia Pacific' by the Global Health and Travel Awards 2019.
- Several services are provided for international patients such as Visa, flight booking, airport transfer, accommodation, air evacuation & repatriation, doctor referral and appointment, cost estimation, emergency care, and sightseeing.
Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur
- Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur is a premier healthcare hospital that has been serving people from all over the world for 47 years.
- It is a one-stop integrated healthcare provider that specialises particularly in Oncology, Cardiology, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, and Paediatrics.
- Besides this, it has many medical and surgical departments like Gastroenterology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Radiology & Interventional Radiology, Urology, Fertility Services – IVF, and Cranio-Facial Surgery.
- It is supported by cutting-edge technologies like Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computerised Tomography (CT) scan, PET-CT, Mammography, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, Image intensifier, Bone densitometry, Orthopantomography and other interventional procedures.
- It has the prestigious JCI accreditation along with a certification by the Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH). It is also a certified Baby-Friendly Hospital.
- The International Patient Centre (IPC) is available to assist international patients from admission to discharge along with airport transfers.
Gleneagles Hospital, Penang
- Gleneagles Hospital, Penang has been providing healthcare services for 48 years with the highest quality medical and surgical services, patient care, and support.
- It was given a JCI accreditation with a Gold Seal of Approval for international quality standards for patient care and organization management in 2016; a reflection of the Hospital's exemplary healthcare quality standards.
- It is a tertiary care hospital for both national and international patients providing a one-stop services.
- Its comprehensive medical and surgical specialities include Cariology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Electrophysiology, ENT, Endocrine Surgery, Foot & Ankle Surgery, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Oncology, Surgical Oncology, Gynaecological Oncology, Interventional Radiology, Paediatrics including Orthopaedics, Surgery, and Urology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery, Spinal Surgery and other specialities.
- The Hospital is also Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH) accredited.
- International patients are assisted in services such as visa, flight, doctor's appointment and hospital discharge, emergency, airport transfers, special dietary needs, accommodation, language interpretation, and local sightseeing.
Doctors for Scoliosis Spine Surgery in Malaysia
Spine SurgeonConsultant, 40 years of experience
- Dr. Paramaswaran Suppiah is a leading and a highly trained Spine Surgeon with +40 years of experience.
- In 1981, he completed his MD from the Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia and then in 1988, he earned a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.
- Dr. Suppiah is a specialist in spine injury and treating sports injury. Some of the surgeries he performs are, motion-preserving lumbar and cervical spine surgery, complex spinal reconstruction, revision spinal surgery and minimally-invasive spinal decompression and fusion surgery. He also treats spinal cord tumours and administers stem cell therapy in spinal cord injury.
Spine SurgeonConsultant, 20 years of experience
- Dr. Harwant Singh is a leading Spine Surgeon with +20 years of experience in the field of orthopedics.
- He completed his MD from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia and then did M.Ch from the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom and two fellowships from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom and the International Center for Orthopaedic Education. He was a Fulbright Fellow in 2001 and a Visiting Fellow in Healthcare Ethics at Oxford in 2009.
- Dr. Singh is an expert at spine surgery, with particular interest in minimally-invasive spine surgery. He holds many patents in new spine technology.
- He has contributed extensively to 53 peer-reviwed journals, and 51 peer-reviewed indexed abstracts. He has contributed several chapters to spine reference books.
Spine SurgeonConsultant, 25 years of experience
- Dr. Saw Lim Beng is a well-known Spine Surgeon having 25 years of experience.
- He performs procedures like Orthopedic trauma surgery, Spine surgery, Spinal deformity surgery, Spinal degenerative diseases, Spinal fusion surgery and Minimally invasive spine surgery.
- He is a member of the Malaysian Medical Council, the World Society for Endoscopic, Navigated & Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery (WENMISS), the Malaysia Spine Society, the Malaysia Orthopaedic Association and the AO Spine.
- Dr. Saw Lim Beng has completed an MBBS (1996) from the Manipal Academy of higher education (MAHE), India.
- He did MS (2005) from the University of Malaya, Malaysia.
- He has a Fellowship (2008) in Spine Surgery from Hong Kong University.
- Dr. Saw Lim Beng is well-versed in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien and Bahasa Malaysia.
Scoliosis Spine Surgery Cost - Frequently Asked Questions
Before Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Mild cases of scoliosis may not need treatment. But, moderate to severe scoliosis that is left untreated can lead to pain and increasing deformity, as well as potential heart and lung damage. Also, if it is the case of a young child, the deformity increases drastically with hormone changes happening during puberty.
Spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis is an extensive surgery that is often only considered as a last option. However, it is a major surgery and a big decision that should not be made without first considering all options.
The choice of when to have surgery will vary. After the bones of the skeleton stop growing, the curve should not get much worse. Because of this, the surgeon may wait until your child's bones stop growing. Your child may need surgery before this if the curve in the spine is severe or is getting worse quickly.
A hump in Scoliosis is usually due to the twisted spine becoming prominent or the bent of the ribs. Surgery makes this bent smaller but it will not totally disappear. The surgeon can give the exact picture of how much deformity will be improved after the surgery.
Rarely does adult scoliosis alone cause paralysis or other severe neurologic problems, but it can be associated with lumbar stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal or tube where the nerves lay), which can result in nerve irritation, leg pain and possibly weakness.
Yes, conceiving is not generally hindered after this surgery unless some other limiting factors are also involved. This surgery also does not mean that such women will have to undergo only C-section for delivery as it does not affect undergoing natural birth process.
The length of the scar from spinal fusion surgery depends on the area and number of vertebra that are fused. It also depends on whether posterior or anterior approach has been used for surgery.In the posterior approach, you can typically expect a single scar of 6-12 inches while in the anterior approach, there could be 3-4 incisions measuring nearly 4-6 inches. However, this length varies from person to person
Some patients have back pain after the spinal fusion surgery. It is normally in the upper back or lower spine region. However, it can be easily treated with exercise and other simple measures like medications. But in some cases revision surgery to ease back pain or remove the implants may be required.
Spinal fusion surgery reduces the flexibility of the back but this depends on which region of your back is fused and the length of the spine involved.Surgeries in upper cervical region limit movements of the neck while those in the middle impact forward bending slightly. Surgeries in the lumbar region affect flexibility and restrict certain movements.
Yes, you may need spine surgery if your spine curve is greater than 45 to 50 degree because it may become worse when you grow up it can cause deformity in your back or may affect the functioning of your lungs.
Spinal scoliosis is a very successful surgery which helps in preventing the growth of spine.
As spinal bones protect the spinal cord, your surgeon will make your bone straight as long as it is safe. The degree of correction of the surgery depend on the flexibility of your scoliosis before surgery. If your curve is more flexible you will get more correction from surgery.
After the surgery you will have more pain than before but it will resolve with a period of few weeks to months. Most people get relief from back pain at one year after surgery as it was before.
Scoliosis surgery can correct your spine by 40 to 65% and it totally depends on your flexibility of your spine, type and size of the curve and their age.
During the Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Usually it takes four to six hours.
Hospital stay is usually for 6 days.
In spinal fusion surgery the curved vertebrae fuses and form into a single and solid growth. The bone growth will be stopped to prevent the curve from getting worse. Bone grafts are being placed between the bones to help on fusion when the bone grows together then a broken bone starts healing.
Spine surgery will take around 4 to 8 hours depending on the size of patient’s curve and the amount of spine which needs to be fused.
This surgery is being done during the growing year of the child, rods are attached to the spine for correcting and maintaining the curvature of the spine. In every six to twelve month the child has to be taken for another surgery for lengthening of the rod. Once patient gets close to skeletal maturity, spinal fusion will usually happen.
After Scoliosis Spine Surgery - Most Frequently Asked Questions
A brace supports the spine and keeps it immobilized after surgery to enhance healing. With modern instrumentation techniques, the need for a rigid brace is much reduced. A corset or a soft brace can be used to support the muscles.
Spinal surgery for scoliosis is a major operation and requires long recovery period. During this time post operative visits and follow up checkups are a must to ensure that the recovery is on track. The patient is called for follow up on 12 day of the surgery to remove any stitches and patient can return to home country after that.
Depending on your age you might be ready to return to work or school around 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. This timescale is different for each person. Many patients will be back to normal activity levels around 3 after surgery.
The intensity of pain after surgery varies from patient to patient, as surgery is a major procedure it involves movement of muscles and realigning of the skeleton. Usually the first few days of the surgery are uncomfortable but most people are able to move by third or fourth day of surgery.
If rods are being used in fusion they are not usually removed, very few people require removal of rod. When removal of rod is needed there can be lot of reason for it such as a infection or breakage of rod.
The portion which is being fused in your back is permanently stiff, most people usually works from the unfused portion in their lower back. If you are participating in any activity in which lot of flexibility is being required then it may take time to adapt.
You should limit yourself from avoiding lifting any heavy objects and you have to reduce the level of bending for the first 6 weeks after surgery.
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Spine Surgeon
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals
Treatment videos related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery
FAQ videos related to Scoliosis Spine Surgery
Get assistance for your treatment from our experienced care team !
Help Us With Patient Details
What is the price of Scoliosis Spine Surgery in other countries, compared to Malaysia?
Approximate price of Scoliosis Spine Surgery in other countries compared to Malaysia is:
- India, USD 8800 to USD 13200, approximately 50% lower than Malaysia
- Turkey, USD 14880 to USD 22320, approximately 15% lower than Malaysia
- Thailand, USD 9600 to USD 14400, approximately 45% lower than Malaysia
- Germany, USD 25600 to USD 38400, approximately 45% higher than Malaysia