Epilepsy Treatment Cost In South AfricaChat
What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy, a brain disorder, is characterized by repeated seizures. A seizure occurs when the brain's electrical activity changes suddenly, altering the patient's behavior.
How is the Procedure Performed?
The treatments for epilepsy include:
- Anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs)
- Brain surgery to remove a small part of the brain that's causing the seizures
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) or Deep brain stimulation (DBS) puts a small electrical device inside the body that helps control seizures
Some people need treatment for life. But the therapy might stop if seizures disappear over time.
Who is the Right Doctor for Epilepsy Treatment?
A neurologist can best diagnose and treat epilepsy. Some neurologists take advanced training and become epileptologists, specialists in diagnosing and treating epilepsy.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
If a patient takes medications and has no seizure in the first year post temporal lobe surgery, the likelihood of being seizure-free at two years is 87-90%. In case of no seizure in two years, the possibility of being seizure-free is 95% at five years and 82% at ten years.
The cost of Epilepsy treatment includes:
- Preoperative diagnostic tests cost, some of which may include MRI, PET, Neurological examination, etc.
- Surgery cost
- Types of epilepsy surgery (Focal Resection, Temporal Lobe Resection, Frontal Lobe Resection, Parietal and occipital Lobe Resection, Lesionectomy, etc.)
- Post-Operative cost (depends on the number of follow-up sessions)
- Medicine cost
- Patient's hospital stay
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
- Type of hospital and room opted (General, Twin sharing, or single room)
- The severity of the disease
- Post-surgical complication, if it happens (such as Hemorrhage, Infection, Brain tissue injury, etc.)
- Cost of Blood products (if required)
- An extended stay at the Hospital
- Cost of Accommodation during follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident
Top hospitals and doctors for Epilepsy Treatment in South AfricaFilter
Showing 31 Hospitals and doctors for Epilepsy Treatment in South Africa
- Mediclinic George, George is a multi-speciality hospital that came up in 2020. Its is the main administrative centre of the Southern Cape.
- The hospital offers neonatal care, neurosurgery, paediatrics, urology, orthopaedics, dermatology, rheumatology, general surgery, vascular surgery, psychiatry, ENT surgery, gynaecologist & obstetrician, clinical technology - cardiology, pathology- microbiological, radiation - oncology, bariatric surgery and such other specialities. Anaesthesiology is another speciality too. It also offers CT scan, 3D scan, MRI, pathology, renal dialysis and radiology services.
- Its specialised services include, antenatal classes, pre-admission centre and sleep studies.
- Mediclinic George, George has an emergency centre, an NICU, and 215 beds.
- The medical team at the hospital is skilled and known for excellent treatments.
- The nurse and technicians at the hospital are very co-operative and prompt.
- Mediclinic George, George is a three-storeyed building built across 25,746 sq. m.
- The premises are spacious, roomy and hygienic.
- Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa is a very old private, multi-speciality non-profit hospital that was set up in 1904. It started as a nursing hospital with very few beds.
- The hospital has received the Discovery Top 20 Private Hospitals award for several years in a row.
- Some of the specialities offered are, radiology, woundcare, audiology, cardiology, CTVS, diabetes, ENT, general surgery, intensive care, neurology, neurosurgery, nuclear medicine, orthopaedic surgery, pediatric gastroenterologist, paediatrics, cosmetic surgery, It also offers consultations for, diet/nutrition and conditions that need specialists.
- The infrastructure at Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa comprises 181 hospital beds, as against the six beds that it started with. It has 430 employees. It has operation theatres. Along with a private practice, the hospital also offers a 24-hour emergency service. It has a pharmacy, and a coffee shop.
- The doctors at the hospital are of world-class repute and it is particularly known for nursing. Together, they offer expert care.
- At Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa, the patient rooms are modern
- Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa now has acquired a new look. It is very modern and the interiors are tastefully done. The premises are spacious with ample light.
- The hospital's surroundings include outdoor gardens and verandas. It has an old-world charm to it that exudes a relaxing feel, thus enabling speedier recovery of patients.
- Mediclinic Plettenberg Bay is the only private clinic in Plettenberg Bay; it was a local retirement village care unit but commissioned in 2016 as Mediclinic.
- It is part of the Mediclinic International healthcare services group that focuses on specialist-orientated, multi-disciplinary services and operates in Switzerland, South Africa, Namibia, and the UAE.
- The Clinic offers services such as Emergency, High-care Unit/ Intensive, Woundcare and Stoma therapy clinic, a 3 and 4D Scan, Pathology, Radiology, and Renal dialysis.
- Although it is one of the smallest hospitals among the Mediclinic hospital group, it has similar state-of-the-art facilities as that of others in South Africa and Namibia.
Doctors for Epilepsy Treatment in South Africa
NeurologistConsultant, 21 years of experience
- Dr. Rudi Renison is a renowned Neurologist in South Africa.
- He holds 21 years of rich experience in his field.
- His areas of expertise are Stroke, Myasthenia Gravis, etc.
- After completing his MBChB from the University of Pretoria, he did Diploma in Internal Medicine in 2005 and FC in Neurology in 2012 from Colleges of Medicine, South Africa.
- Many patients recommend him because of satisfactory results.
NeurologistConsultant, 15 years of experience
- Dr. Irshad Siddi Ganie is a healthcare practitioner registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a Neurologist.
- He is a graduate of the Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine KwaZulu Natal (formerly University of Natal) and a Fellow of the College of Neurologists of South Africa since 2009.
- He is a practising neurologist in the private sector in the KZN North Coast region since 2010.
- He is a member of the International Headache Society as well as a member of the Neurocritical Care Society.
- Dr. Ganie is affiliated with the North Durban Practitioners Guild.
- He has been instrumental in setting up the Acute Stroke protocol at Life Mount Edgecombe Hospital.
- He is committed to educating the community as well as family practitioners as regards the latest information in the field of Neurology.
- His interests include headache disorders, epilepsy and acute stroke care.
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Neurologist
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals