Craniotomy Cost In MalaysiaChat
What is Craniotomy?
The process of removing a bony flap from the skull area to operate the brain area is known as craniotomy.
It is the surgery for making a brain accessible for operation. it is commonly used for the treatment of brain cancer, brain tumour, brain aneurysm and in cases of accidental brain injury.
It has minimum invasion and hence is widely used.
How is the Procedure Performed?
In this process of craniotomy, a bony flap from the skull is temporarily removed for clear access of the brain part which is to be operated on, post-surgery the flap is put back in its position.
This helps in minimal skull opening and has good healing afterward.
Who is the Right Doctor for Craniotomy?
The process of craniotomy is done by neurosurgeon.
What is the Usual Success Rate for this Procedure?
In terms of mortality rate, zero death is reported in craniotomy procedures. However, it reduces the surgery time and postoperative hospital stay.
It has better outcomes and fewer side effects.
The Cost of Craniotomy Surgery Includes:
- Preoperative Diagnostic Tests Cost May Include [CT Scan or MRI of the brain]
- Surgery Cost (Depends upon the type and size of the tumour and the extent to which the tumour has spread)
- Type of Surgery [Craniotomy, Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery, Neuroendoscopic Surgery, or Spinal Surgery]
- Post-Operative Cost [there might be a need for Chemotherapy or Radiotherapy before or post-surgery]
- Patient's Hospital Stay [can range from a few days to a couple of weeks]
The overall cost of the procedure also varies based on the patient's condition and preferences. Some of these factors are:
- Type of Hospital and Room Opted (General, Twin sharing, or single room)
- The Stage and Type of Cancer
- Patients May Require Repeated Investigation through PET CT and Related Tests Post-surgery / Chemotherapy / Radiation Therapy.
- Any Additional Tests May be Required, Such as ECG or Blood Tests.
- An Extended Stay at the Hospital
- Cost of Accommodation During Follow-ups, in case the patient is not a local resident [may take longer duration in case of chemotherapy or radiotherapy sessions]
Cost related to Craniotomy in Malaysia
|Treatment name||Cost range|
|Craniotomy Surgery||USD 11880 to USD 14520|
Craniotomy in Malaysia
Popular Cities in Malaysia for Craniotomy are:
Help Us With Patient Details
Images Related To Craniotomy
What is Craniotomy?
Reasons for Craniotomy.
How Craniotomy Surgery is done?
Procedure for Craniotomy Surgery.
Top hospitals and doctors for Craniotomy in MalaysiaFilter
Showing 23 Hospitals and doctors for Craniotomy in Malaysia
Gleneagles Hospital, Kuala Lumpur
- Gleneagles Hospital, Kuala Lumpur is one of the leading hospitals in Malaysia accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), the highest international quality accreditation in terms of patient safety and health care services.
- Established in 1996, the hospital is delivering healthcare and excellence for over 25 years.
- The Hospital is particularly known for its Cardiology, Oncology, and Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery.
- It provides comprehensive medical and surgical procedures such as Bariatric Surgery, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, ENT, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Neurosurgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Breast Surgery to mention a few.
- Gleneagles Hospital has one of the most advanced technologies like Gamma Knife and Da Vinci Si Surgery System.
- A well-equipped Imaging Department like Ultrasound Examination, Computed Tomography Scan (C.T. Scan), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Fluoroscopy, Angiography, Non-vascular Interventional Radiology, Mammography, Bone Mineral Densitometry, and General Radiography.
- The Hospital also received several awards namely, the 'International Hospital of the Year,' and 'Highly Commended for Excellence in Customer Service' award from the prestigious International Medical Travel Journal in 2018. It also received the 'Best Health Screening Provider in Asia Pacific' by the Global Health and Travel Awards 2019.
- Several services are provided for international patients such as Visa, flight booking, airport transfer, accommodation, air evacuation & repatriation, doctor referral and appointment, cost estimation, emergency care, and sightseeing.
Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur
- Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur is a premier healthcare hospital that has been serving people from all over the world for 47 years.
- It is a one-stop integrated healthcare provider that specialises particularly in Oncology, Cardiology, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, and Paediatrics.
- Besides this, it has many medical and surgical departments like Gastroenterology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Radiology & Interventional Radiology, Urology, Fertility Services – IVF, and Cranio-Facial Surgery.
- It is supported by cutting-edge technologies like Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Computerised Tomography (CT) scan, PET-CT, Mammography, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, Image intensifier, Bone densitometry, Orthopantomography and other interventional procedures.
- It has the prestigious JCI accreditation along with a certification by the Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH). It is also a certified Baby-Friendly Hospital.
- The International Patient Centre (IPC) is available to assist international patients from admission to discharge along with airport transfers.
Pantai Hospital Penang
Pantai Hospital Penang is one of the many hospitals owned by the Pantai Group, a leading healthcare services provider in Malaysia.
The Hospital specialises in Neurology and Cardiology besides having excellent medical and patient care in departments like Oncology, ENT, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Paediatrics, Renal Medicines, Urology and others.
It has three Centres of Excellence namely, the Cancer Centre, Heart Centre, and Stroke Centre.
It is accredited by the Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH) that is under the Ministry of Health.
It is supported by cutting edge medical and surgical technologies like 160-Slice CT Scan, 64-Slice CT Scan, Bone Densitometer (DEXA), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Mammography, Ultrasonography to mention a few.
The Hospital also has an International Patient Centre that will assist international patients from appointment to discharge along with complimentary chauffeured services to hotels or accommodations in Penang.
It also offers a choice of Health Screening Packages for both men and women.
Doctors for Craniotomy in Malaysia
NeurosurgeonConsultant, 48 years of experience
- Dr. Selvapragasam T. is a leading Neurosurgeon with +48 years of experience in the field.
- He is a professional member of the, Malaysian Medical Council, Preliminary Investigation Council, Medical Review Panel, Fitness to Practice Panel.
- Dr. Selvapragasam T did his MBBS in 1973 from the Madras University and then purused two fellowships in 1982 at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
- He is a specialist of cranio-spinal surgery, brain surgery for tumours, spinal surgery, intracranial haemorrhages and traumatic brain & spine surgery. He also treats other neurological conditions such as, cervical/lumbar spondylosis. nerve damage, head injuries, paralysis and spinal tumours/lesions.
NeurosurgeonSenior Consultant, 20 years of experience
- Dr Sani Bin Sayuthi is a trained Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years of training and expertise.
- His specialities include preventing, identifying, and treating nerve, spine, and brain problems.
- He is a member of the Neurosurgical Association Of Malaysia, the Malaysian Medical Council and the Academy of Medicine, Malaysia.
- Dr Sani Bin Sayuthi completed his MBBS (1995) from the National University of Ireland, Ireland.
- He obtained his MS (2007) from Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia.
NeurosurgeonConsultant, 40 years of experience
- Mr. B. Gunasekaran is a well-known Neurosurgeon who practises at Gleneagles Penang Hospital.
- He has been working in the field for over 40 years.
- Mr. B. Gunasekaran specialities include brain, spinal cord, and nerve surgery, as well as microsurgery.
- He has completed an MBBS (1975) from the University of Madras, India.
- He obtained FRACS (1983) from Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), Australia.
- Mr. B. Gunasekaran is well-versed in English, Tamil and Bahasa Melayu.
Craniotomy Cost - Frequently Asked Questions
Before Craniotomy - Most Frequently Asked Questions
To remove a brain tumor, a neurosurgeon makes an opening in the skull. This operation is called a craniotomy. Whenever possible, the surgeon attempts to remove the entire tumor. If the tumor cannot be completely removed without damaging vital brain tissue, your doctor may remove as much of the tumor as possible.
The malignancy of the tumor can only be established post histopathy of the tumor sample. IF it turns out to be cancerous, additional treatment protocol may be advised.
One is not allowed to eat or drink anything before a craniotomy surgery.
The patient should stop taking blood-thinning medications. He should also stop taking medicines like Clopidogrel, Plavix and Warfarin.
It depends upon the osteopathy reports of the tumor sample.
Yes it is true, awake craniotomy is usually done in those patients who have lesions in critical areas. But with advances in imaging/ surgery and brain mapping it is not used these days. Of course in places where such equipment is not available, it can be done. It difficult in many patients because of patient has to understand and be mature enough to lie still for 4 hours or so It is slightly uncomfortable too
Craniotomy is the surgery to remove the part of bone from skull for exposing the brain, the bone flap is being temporarily removed and then replaced after brain surgery.
Yes, Craniotomy is a serious surgery, it involves temporary removal of bone from the skull to repair in the brain. The procedure has various risks which makes it a serious surgery.
Craniotomy has got several risks such as bleeding and infection just like other type of brain cancer surgery.
Craniotomy is done to treat various conditions such as brain tumors, traumatic brain injury, hemorrahage, aneursysms. Damaged tissue, abscesses, epilepsy and facial pain.
During the Craniotomy - Most Frequently Asked Questions
5 days in the hospital.
The patient has to stay in the ICU for at least a night or two depending on the progress of his/her condition post-surgery. IVs, monitors and bladder catheters are removed in the morning following the surgery.
The patient is allowed to eat a normal breakfast and he/she can walk on the first day after the surgery.
The patient has to stay in the ICU for at least a night or two depending on the progress of his/her condition post surgery. IVs, monitors and bladder catheters are removed on the morning following the surgery. The patient is allowed to eat a normal breakfast and he/she can walk on the first day after the surgery.
It will take around three to five hours to do craniotomy, if you are undergoing regular craniotomy.
Your doctor will explain you about all these. You need to undergo blood test, diagnostic test and neurological examination before the surgery.
Skin incisions are usually made behind the hairline. A hair sparing technique is used, where only a 1/4-inch wide area along the proposed incision is shaved. The skin and muscles are lifted off the bone and folded back. Next, small burr holes are made in the skull with a drill. Similar to using a jigsaw, the surgeon cuts an outline of a bone window .The cut bone flap is lifted and removed to expose the protective covering of the brain and the bone flap is safely set aside and will be replaced at the end of the surgery. The dura is opened to expose the brain. Varieties of small instrument are used to work deep inside brain, after the problem has been removed or repaired, any retractors are removed, and the dura is closed with sutures. The bone flap is put back in its original position and secured to the skull with titanium plates and screws (Fig. 5). The plates and screws remain permanently to support the area. At last muscles and the skin are sutured back.
After Craniotomy - Most Frequently Asked Questions
Walking and taking personal care is allowed after a day of the craniotomy surgery. Strenuous activities like work-outs, lifting heavy weights and strong exertions should be avoided for at least four to six weeks.
There is no such restriction on the neck movement.
It depends on the occupation of the patient. Strenuous work is best avoided for longer periods until his/her physical strength is regained. Normally, patients are allowed to resume their work after two to four weeks post-surgery.
It depends on the occupation of the patient. Strenuous work are best avoided for longer periods until his/her physical strength is regained. Normally, patients are allowed to resume their work after two to four weeks post surgery.
It will take around 4 to 8 weeks to recover from surgery, you will feel tired for several weeks after surgery, you may also have some headache and problems in concentrating. The cuts will be sore for about five days after surgery.
Some of the side effects of Craniotomy are scars, injury in head region, facial nerve damage, infection of the bone flap or skin, seizures and brain swelling.
Craniotomy requires hospital stay of about three to seven days. The stay in hospital depends on your condition.
The risk of rare and it has the potential to interfere with memory, speech, vision, muscle control, coordination an balance. Other potential risks that are specifically associated with brain surgery include coma, blood clots, hemorrhaging or swelling of the brain, stroke and seizures.
Our services are FREE and by using our services your hospital bill does not increase!
Testimonial of our patients treated by Neurosurgeon
Patients from 100+ countries have trusted Vaidam
Know Our Services
- Specialist option & Quote
- FREE Tele Consult
- Priority Admission
- In hospital assistance
- Post Procedure Followups
- Visa Assistance
- Airport Transfers
- Verified Hotels near hospitals
- Local Assistance
- Visa Extension
- Second Opinion
- Discounts from hospitals
Treatment videos related to Craniotomy
FAQ videos related to Craniotomy
Get assistance for your treatment from our experienced care team !
Help Us With Patient Details
What is the price of Craniotomy in other countries, compared to Malaysia?
Approximate price of Craniotomy in other countries compared to Malaysia is:
- India, USD 5280 to USD 7920, approximately 50% lower than Malaysia
- Turkey, USD 5600 to USD 8400, approximately 47% lower than Malaysia
- Thailand, USD 19200 to USD 28800, approximately 82% higher than Malaysia
- Germany, USD 8000 to USD 12000, approximately 24% lower than Malaysia