Eligibility for Medical Visa from U.S.A to India
- One is granted a medical visa if his/her only purpose to visit another country is medical treatment.
- Applicants should have their treatments at recognized/reputed/specialized hospital/healthcare center in India.
- Not more than two medical attendants are allowed to travel with the patient. The medical attendants can be their family members or close friends or relatives.
- The list of treatments for which a medical visa is granted is non exhaustive that ranges from neurosurgery, joint replacements ophthalmic disorders, renal disorders, cardiac problems to congenital disorders, organ transplantations, radiotherapy, plastic surgery, gene therapy and others.
Note: The Embassy of India and its Consulates in U.S has CKGS as their only authorized service provider. Submission of visa applications should be done in the 6 CKGS centres, namely Washington DC, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Houston and Atlanta.
Application for Indian medical visa should be done through the CKGS website. Therefore, it is instructed not to go to the Government of India website at once. Once the applicant fills up his/her form in the CKGS website and submits them online, he/she will be redirected to the Indian Visa Online website.
The requirements of documents for Indian medical visa application will therefore be provided to the applicant once he/she has entered his/her credentials correctly in the preliminary forms at the CKGS website.
Important Documents Required to fill up the CKGS Application Form
- Click here to go to the CKGS website.
- Current U.S passport/foreign passport. The passport should be valid for 6 months from the date of application and should have 2 blank pages. From your passport the following information is required:
- Passport number
- Date of Issue
- Date of Expiry
- Place of Issue
- Information about your previous Indian Visa (if you have paid a previous visit)
- Information of the countries you have visited in the last 6 months.
- Details of your current citizenship.
- Particulars of the proposed travel itinerary in India along with the cities/places covered in the country and the entry and exit points in India.
- Particulars of other valid passport/identity certificate:
- Passport/certificate number
- Issue date
- Location of issue
- Nationality mentioned there.
- Particulars of references in U.S and India
After you have filled the form and clicked on Proceed, a widget will appear through which you will know your eligibility of getting an Indian medical visa. If you are an eligible candidate then the questions in the form will get autofilled.
You will get to view the checklist of documents that you would require to submit in the Result Page. Visa processing time web reference number will also appear in the same page. Make sure to write down this number.
After visa application has been completed in the CKGS website click on the “Click Here” button under Fill the Online Visa Form of the Indian Government. You will be redirected to Indian Visa Online website.
Links of Help:
Online Application of Indian Medical Visa from U.S.A
- In the Indian Visa Online website, click on Regular Visa Application.
- Fill up the necessary details: your country’s name, high commission, date of birth, nationality, e-mail id, expected date of arrival in India and visa type. Enter the access code and click Continue.
- The online application form consists of three pages. Fill up each page of the form with the correct information. After you finish filling up each page, click Save and Continue at the bottom.
- Enter the required credentials about your family address and your profession or occupation.
- Enter your medical visa application details about the hospital in your country and the hospital in India where you will be having your treatment, duration of treatment, no. of entries, purpose of visit, expected date of journey, expected time of arrival and departure, other information, details about SAARC country visit and reference.
- If you make your medical travel to India only through Vaidam’s assistance but do not have an Indian reference, then you can mention Vaidam’s office address and contact number of patient relations as mentioned here.
- After you click Save and Continue on the third page, a preview containing all your details will appear.
- Go through them thoroughly. Click on Modify/Edit if there is any mistake.
- Click on Verified and Continue if all the data entered by you are correct.
- Go through the set of instructions that appear on the new window and press OK for final registration. To modify details click Cancel.
- After clicking OK a window will appear where you would have to select the appointment date for submission of application at the Mission Counter. Click on Confirm the Appointment.
- Another new window will open after you have clicked on Confirm the Appointment, bearing two options to Print or Save the online application. Save the online application. Do not print it immediately as you may lose the application by doing so.
- Click on Print Registered Application to get the hardcopy of your application form.
- If you haven’t uploaded your picture in the online application form, then attach it in the photo box on the first page. The photograph should be exactly the same size as the box (2inch X 2inch). Photo necessities.
- Put your signature on the rectangular box just below the photo box. Do the same in the box at the bottom of the second page.
- A new web reference number will be provided to you by the Indian Online Visa website as soon as you complete your visa application. Use this reference number to track your visa status in the CKGS website.
After getting a print out of the application form, you will be redirected to the CKGS website to complete the rest of the visa application process.
Now, fill up the supplementary forms and letters. Self attest and notarize some of the forms and letters as directed.
- Take a print of the Document Checklist.
- Enter correct particulars in the forms.
- Re-check the forms and letters.
- Get the print of the forms from the ‘My Account’ page.
- Put your signature in the form wherever is instructed to.
- Get the copies of the documents self attested or notarized as instructed.
Indian Medical Visa Processing Fee
The medical visa fee from the U.S to India is USD 100 for six months and USD 140 for a year.
Contact Details and Working Hours of Indian High Commission in U.S
Embassy of India
Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia
2536 Massachusetts Avenue, NW,
Fax: (202) - 387 - 6946
Consulate General of India
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont
3 East 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 (Between 5th and Madison Avenues)
Consulate General of India
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin
455, North City Front Plaza Drive,
Tel: (312) 595 - 0405 & (312) 595 - 0409
Consulate General of India
Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska
4300 Scotland Street,
Tel: 713 - 626 - 2148 / 2149
Consulate General of India
Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming
540 Arguello Boulevard,
Consulate General of India
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and US Virgin Islands
5549 Glenridge Drive NE,
Tel: (404) 963 5902
Contact Details of CGKS Application Centers in U.S.A
|Location||Jurisdiction||Address||CKGS Customer Service|
|Washington DC||Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia||1230, 23rd Street NW, Suite 100-50, Washington D.C 20037|
|New York||Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont||235 West, 23rd Street, Level 2, New York, NY 10011|
|Chicago||Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin||19 S La Salle Street, Suite 1003, Chicago IL 60603|
|Houston||Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska||1001 Texas Avenue, Suite 550 (Level 5), Houston, TX 77002|
|San Francisco||Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming||225 Bush Street, Level 1, San Francisco CA 94104|
|Atlanta||Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, US Virgin Islands||5883 Glenridge Drive, Suite 180, Sandy Springs, GA 30328|
Mode of Submission
Shipping and walk in are the two modes of submission of Indian medical visa application.
- Shipping is booked at the CKGS website.
- The shipment should be purchased through CKGS.
- The medical visa application should be sent to the CKGS Application Centre of the concerned jurisdiction. It should not be sent to the Mission.
- Print the label which will have the following:
- To: New ‘Visa’ Application
- CKGS Application Centre name
- Visa Department
- Zip Code
Things to keep in mind:
- Per package should contain only 1 application.
- The package should not weigh more than 0.5Lbs.
- The shipping label of CKGS should be affixed on the envelope.
Use these three envelopes by UPS and FED EX as shown below:
- Cost of pick up by Fed Ex and UPS is not included. So, do not opt for pick up services by them.
- The shipping label should not be used to submit the medical visa application beyond the applicant’s jurisdiction.
- If the applicant uses his/her own shipping label, he/she should provide the AWB Number and service provider’s details when he/she is at the Shipping stage of visa process. One can also print it later from the ‘My Account’ page.
- FedEx Prepaid Envelopes sent by the applicant and USPS Pre-paid labels are not accepted.
Walk – in
- Complete the appointment process in the CKGS website:
- Select an appointment date.
- Choose the Time Slot. (If the date and time is booked then others options will be provided).
- Get the appointment date and time confirmed from CKGS.
- Go to the concerned CKGS application center at the appointed date and time and submit the application along with all the documents and the visa fees.
- Biometric enrolment for visa application is compulsory for applicants of San Francisco Jurisdiction who have opted for walk – in visa application submission.
Applicants below 12 and over 70 years, those who hold diplomatic passports or UN passport and one with no fingers are exempted from it.
Medical Visa Information After Your Arrival in India
Medical Visa Extension
Visa extension is required when one needs more time for his or her recovery that goes beyond his departure date from India. In that case the patient requires an official letter from the concerned hospital authority stating his/her ailment, treatment procedure and the number of days he/she would take to recover completely to go back to his/her own country. The applicant has to go to the FRRO office with the letter and the required documents to extend his/her stay in the country.
Foreign Regional Registration Office controls the registration, departure visa extension and other nuances of the foreign nationals regarding their passports, visa and their stay in India. Foreigners have to register themselves in the FRRO office once they arrive in India. Below is mentioned the documents that are required for FRRO registration:
Photocopy of the passport and the initial visa.
Four photographs of the applicant.
Details of residence in India.
Contact details of FRRO offices in India
Name and Designation
Shri A.B Purabia, FRRO Ahmedabad
Barrack No. 2, First Floor, Govt. Polytechnic Campus, Ambawadi, Ahmedabad, Gujarat-380015
Shri Manjit Singh, FRRO Amritsar
Bureau of Immigration, D-123, Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar - 143001
Shri Ganesh Kumar, FRRO Bangalore
5th Floor, 'A' Block, TTMC, BMTC Bus Stand Building, K.H. Road, Shantinagar, Bangalore - 560027
Shri M Ananda Kumar , FRRO, Calicut
20/1305, Castle View, Thiruvannur Road, Panniyankara,Kallai PO, Kozhikode,KERALA-673003
Dr. K.A. Senthil Velan , FRRO Chennai
No. 26 Shastri Bhawan Annexe Building 26 Haddows Road, Nungabakkam, Chennai-600006
Mr. K. Sethu Raman , FRRO, Cochin
2nd Floor, Airlines Building, Cochin International Airport Ltd.,Airport PO, Cochin- 683111, Kerala
Shri Prabhakar , FRRO Delhi
East Block —VIII, Level -2, Sector -1, R.K Puram, New Delhi-66
Shri. V A Gupta IPS , FRRO Goa
Foreigners Branch, Goa Police Head Quarters, Opposite to Azad Maidan, Panaji. Pin : 403001
Shri P K Sethy , FRRO Hyderabad
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Bureau of Immigration (MHA), Govt. of India, Room No. 301, 3rd Floor, CGO Towers, Kavadiguda, Hyderabad-500080
Sh. Suresh Kumar Chidvie , FRRO Kolkata
237, A.J.C Bose Road, Kolkata
Shri Harish Kumar Rai , FRRO, Lucknow
557, Hind Nagar, Kanpur Road Near Old Chungi Lucknow-226012
Mrs. Supriya Patil Yadav , FRRO Mumbai
Annex-|| Bldg., 3rd Floor Badruddin Tayyabji Marg, Behind St.Xavier College, C.S.T Mumbai 400001
(The Landmark is near C.S.T railway station and the office is in the lane beside the Times of india building.),
For Enquiries on Registration and Visa Services Phone 022-22620446, Enquiry For PIO/OCI phone 022-22621167
Sh. K.K. Jayamohan , FRRO Trivandrum
T.C.14/1377, Vazhuthacaud opposite Ganpati temple, Thycaud. P.O Trivandrum-14
For more information on Medical Visa Extension and FRRO services click here.
E-Tourist Visa from the U.S.A to India
E-tourist visa can be used for medical travel when patients require short term medical treatments or check-ups. Here are the documents that are required for E-tourist visa.
PDF version of the scanned first page of the passport.
The size of the PDF should be 10KB to 300KB.
A digital photograph is to be uploaded. The photograph should maintain the following criteria:
Size: 10KB to 1MB
The height and width of the photo should be equal.
Photo should have full face, front view and eyes open.
Center head within the frame. Head from top of the hair to the bottom of the chin of the individual should be prominent.
Background should be plain light colored or white.
There should be no shadows on the face or on the background.
The photo should not have any borders.
Assistance in Medical Visa
For our complimentary assistance in getting Medical Visa to India, submit enquiry or email on [email protected] You can also call or whatsapp us on +91-9650001746 . We usually respond within 2 hours of receiving the enquiry.
- Embassy of India, Washington D.C, USA
- Visa Services
- Indian Visa Fees
- Photo Specifications
- Contact Details and Working Hours of Indian Embassy and Consular Wing
- CKGS Application Centers in USA
- Bureau of Immigration
- FRRO contact details
- Foreign Registration Related Services
- Things to remember During Visa Extension
- Online Registration
- Health Regulation