Dr. A. A Mehra from Amritsar is a well-known name in the field of spine and neurosurgery. With an experience of more than 22 years, he holds expertise in the treatment of Spine Injury, Spinal Dysraphism, Epidural Abscess, Deformity Correction, Microdiscectomy, and Spondylolisthesis. His professional qualification includes MBBS from Government Medical College Amritsar, MS from Dayanand Medical College, Ludhiana, and MCh from SMS Medical College Jaipur. He is working with Amandeep Hospital, Amritsar. He has witnessed many International conferences. Well-trained in his field, Dr. A. A Mehra wrote various publications in different National and International journals. He has been associated with some of the best neurosurgery hospitals in India.
What are different Spine Problems?
The spine is like an Armor that protects the structure of our body. Its alignment plays a very vital role for the body. With the changing lifestyle and reduction in physical activities back pains and spine problems are very frequent. Among the middle and advancing age patients, one of the most common problems that have been encountered is spine complaints. The pain in the spine ranges from dull, constant aching to sudden sharp and shooting pains. Depending on the disorder the pain may increase or get worse with some particular activities. Some congenital or degenerative disorders result in misalignment primarily and then result in discomfort. Disorders of vertebrae, discs between vertebrae, or compression in nerves result in spine problems. These may be degenerative, genetic, any primary bone disorder or tumour in rare cases.
Some common symptoms of spine problems
Although these symptoms are very common and we may easily relate them to tiredness. But, still keep a check if they are very frequent, you may need medical care and consult the best neurosurgeons in India.
- Neck or back pain with or without stiffness
- Hip pain or sciatica
- Shoulder, ankle, knee pain with swelling
- Muscle spasms or weakness
Some symptoms that can be alarming and need immediate medical care:
Even if they are not life-threatening, they can also be a sign of nerve compression. If these symptoms reoccur, you need to seek some prompt medical care or visit a specialist immediately.
- Loss or abnormal sensation in limbs or shoulders
- A complete loss of balance
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Weakness in legs
- Impaired balance and co-ordination
- High fever
Neurologic symptoms that occur due to spine disorders
Spine problems affect the nervous system also or may result in certain disorders.
- Headache, in the backside of the head
- Numbness, tingling, or pain in the arm, shoulder, buttock, or leg
Other systems that get affected by spine problems
- Heel pain
- Loss of appetite
- Low fever
- Genital sores or rash
- Eye inflammations or uveitis
What are the major causes of spine symptoms?
Spine symptoms may be the result of various reasons. Some may be due to mild disorders but others can be really serious ones that should never be ignored. These are categorized under three heads.
Mechanical spine symptoms – These are caused due to mechanical changes or injury. The way you move, sit, lift the weight, or internal physical changes causing pain. It includes:
- Ligament sprains or tears
- Fractured Vertebrae
- Bone spurs
- Herniated disc (when the disc between two vertebrae ruptures)
- Intervertebral disc degeneration (loss of cushioning effect of discs)
- Exercise or sports injury
- Muscle spasm or tension
Causes that are Congenital or acquired
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (It is an autoimmune disorder that triggers the immune system to attack healthy joints tissues)
- Fibromyalgia (It causes pain and stiffness in the spine)
- Osteomyelitis (Bone infection due to bacteria or fungus)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (It is an autoimmune disease that targets the joints lining)
- Scoliosis (abnormal curvature of the spine)
There may be some serious things happening inside your body that may lead to an emergency. They include:
- Epidural Abscess (Its an infection in the spinal canal that is mainly due to any foreign object stuck under the skin)
- Gallstones (Stones in the gallbladder)
- Kidney stones (Hard crystallized stone-like material in the kidney)
Any minute disorder in the body should never be ignored if it is prolonged. It may lead to serious issues in near future. When it is easy to catch hold of it at an early stage then why should one need to wait for the alarming call. Nobody knows what goes inside our bodies. Trust your doctor and let him know about your symptoms related to spinal pain. Never forget to give him your detailed history of any past injuries, diseases, and medication.