- A 21 months old baby suffered from kyphotic deformity that resulted in a disproportionate curvature of the spine causing haunches.
- According to medical terminology, the normal curve in the structure of the spine is known as kyphosis.
- In the MRI report the doctors discovered wearing off of the spine bones due to tubeculosis that exerted pressure on the spinal cord that further led to weakened legs.
- As against the normal curvature of the spine which is 40 - 45 degrees, the patient's spine had a curve of 110 degrees.
- In a four hour long surgery at Indian Spinal Injuries Centre the patient's excesstive spinal curve was corrected to 40 degrees.
- As said by spine surgery consultant, Dr. Gururaj Sangondimath it is for the first time that spinal deformity correction as been performed on a patient of such tender age.
Source: Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, Media Update