- Two brothers, Hamad (19) and Mohammad (17) from UAE suffered from the congenital disease of inherited cardiomyopathy.
- Their heart transplant surgeries were performed at Gleneagles Global Health City Hospital in Chennai.
- Their father, Sultan Al Yahyee has 5 sons and 6 daughters, all of whom suffer from the same disease in different magnitudes.
- Yahyee has already lost a son in 2013 because of the unavailability of a suitable donor.
- Both the 5 hour long cadaver heart transplants were performed by programme director and chairman of cardiac sciences at the hospital, Dr. Sandeep Attawar in the month of March.
- While Hamad received a heart from a 23-year-old brain dead patient, Mohammad received it from a 17-year-old.
- Four months post their surgery, the brothers are doing well and are on immunodepressants in order to prevent rejection of the donor organs by their bodies.
Source: Gleneagles Global Health City Hospital, Chennai, Media Update