- Doctors at Fortis Flt Lt Rajan Dhall Hospital, New Delhi has recently extracted a football sized pleural tumor from the chest of a Russian patient through a challenge bound surgery.
- The 3.2 kg tumor was continuously growing inside the chest cavity of the 39-year-old, Emil Abdullaev.
- According to Dr. Sabyasachi Bal, through its gradual growth the pleural tumor had already taken up a significant area and exerted pressure on the right lung.
- Constrained space for performing the surgical procedure of tumor extraction coupled with the heightened accuracy required posed as sufficient difficulties.
- For the past five years Emil has been suffering from breathlessness and severe discomfort.
- He went for a series of check-ups.
- Doctors at Russia cancelled out a surgery because of the fatal risks it bore.
- As the tumor was not invasive, the excision was successful added Dr. Bal.
- Emil was discharged from the hospital after a week.
Source: Fortis Flt Lt Rajan Dhall Hospital, Media update