- Fortis Hospital has performed its 35th heart transplant to save the life of a 46-year-old man from Alibaug.
- The patient was suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy is a condition in which the size of the heart increases making it difficult to pump blood.
- The patient had a to wait for two months for his heart transplant.
- The donation was only possible when a 45-year-old man in Indore was declared brain dead after he met with an accident.
- After getting the consent of the 45-year-old's family, Dr. Anvay Mulay, Head of Cardiac Transplant team at Fortis Hospital rushed from Mumbai to Indore to collect the donor heart.
- The transport of live heart was possible due to the green corridor laid by the authorities. A swift coordination between CISF, Indore & Mumbai, Traffic, Police, Airport authorities and NGO Muskaan volunteers had enabled the smooth organ transfer.
- ''The surgery has been concluded and the recipient is now stable. We will continue to monitor him in the intensive care unit for next 48 to 72 hours,' said Dr. Mulay.'