- A new surgical procedure of single incision laparoscopic gastrectomy was successfully performed at Aster Medcity, Kochi.
- The 28-year-old patient had a BMI of 51.9 whereas her expected BMI should be of 25.
- Prolonged hospitalization, post-operative pain, wound infection, incisional hernia are some of the prominent disadvantages of a traditional sleeve gastrectomy that requires four to five incisions.
- In the procedure of single laparoscopic gastrectomy only a 2.5 cm incision is made in the umbilical fold.
- The minimally invasive technique helps the patient to recover fast and the scar being in the umbilicus is not visible post healing said Dr. Prakash K, Lead Senior Consultant, GI & HPB Surgery.
- The patient recovered well and was discharged on the fourth day.
Source: Aster Medcity, Media Update