- After a halt for four years, robotic heart bypass surgery has recently been performed at Saifee Hospital, Mumbai.
- The 67-year-old patient, Mazgaon Motiwala suffered from hypertension.
- He had undergone an emergency angioplasty two months before the surgery in which two stents were put in his heart.
- But due to triple bloackages in the left vessel the angioplasty was not enough increasing the need for a CABG surgery.
- After the surgery, Motiwala was discharged from the hospital after a stay of 5 days and rejoined his business again within two weeks.
- Describing the benefits of robotic surgery, Dr. Aliasgar Behranwala, cardiothoractic surgeon at the hospital says, that as the incisions are small, post-operative pain, blood loss is significantly reduced leading to a faster recovery.
- Although robotic surgery has been extensively used for gastroeneterology, gynecology, urology and oncology procedures, its use for cardiac treatments have always been limited till the recent time.
Source: Saifee Hospital, Media Update