- Initially 46-year-old Venkatesh Naik's persisting and severe stomach ache was thought to be the results of appendicitis.
- Later he was diagnosed with intestinal ischemia, a condition in which the cells of the intestine die due to lack of oxygen supply to the organ.
- He was hospitalized for 5 months.
- According to Dr. Mahesh Gopashetty, consultant transplant surgeon at Apollo Hospital, Bangalore, Naik did not have an intestine and could not injest food.
- After finding a cadaverous donor, the team of 40 doctors in the hospital successfully performed an intestine transplant surgery.
Source: Apollo Hospital, Media Update