- Seema Shukla, a resident of Bhopal, donated one of her kidneys for a kidney transplant surgery on herself.
- Five months back she was a chronic patient of kidney failure whose life sustained only by dialysis.
- Doctors had given only two options: one, she can continue her dialysis forever; two, she undergoes a kidney transplant surgery.
- She was suffering from Aortic aneurysm in the left renal artery that blocked free blood flow into her left kidney.
- Doctors at Jaslok Hospital headed by nephrologist and transplant physician, Dr. Madan Bahadur decided that she was the right candidate for an auto transplant.
- The kidney was, therefore, removed and was relocated reattached in the pelvic region.
- Shukla's condition improved within a fortnight.
Source: The Times of India