- Admitted at Apollo Hospital in Tiruchirapalli for a kidney transplant, Tan Khaun from Malaysia was diagnosed with enlarged kidneys.
- According to doctors at the hospital, Khaun had autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.
- It is a condition in which water filled cysts developed in both of his kidneys that led to gradual damage.
- As a consequence, Khaun's left kidney weighed 7kg and his right kidney weighed 4.3kg as against the normal 200 - 210 gms.
- The rare inherited condition's treatment consisted of removal of both his kidneys followed by dialysis and transplant.
Source: Apollo Hospital, Media Update