- A robotic assisted total knee replacement surgery has been successfully performed for the first time in India at Lokmanya Hospital, Pune.
- The patient, a 65-year-old, was suffering from tricompartmental arthritis.
- According to the joint replacement surgeon, Dr. Narendra Vaidya, robotic assisted knee surgery helps in cutting down the chances of revision or failure.
- Through the advanced procedure, perfection is achieved in the alignment of the prosthesis. It also prevents loosening of the same later on.
- By virtue of the robotic assisted total knee replacement, the recovery of the patient was faster as there was less pain, minimal blood loss keeping all the adjacent healthy tissues intact.
Source: Lokmanya Hospital, Media Update