- One of India's longest green corridors was achieved when an old man in Chennai required an immediate heart transplant.
- The donor's heart belonged to a deceased young serviceman at Army Hospital in Delhi.
- As soon as the donor's heart was harvested at 3:15pm, it was rushed to the Delhi airport in an army ambulance and from there was taken to Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Chennai in a private airline.
- It took three hours to complete the whole journey.
- According to Dr. Sandeep Attawar, Director of Heart Failure and Transplant Program at the hospital, not a moment was wasted after they were notified by NOTTO and TRANSTAN that a heart was available for the transplant.
- NOTTO is the National Organ and TIssue Transplant Organization set up under the Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health.
- TRANSTAN is the Transplant Authority of Tamil Nadu.
- Having recieved the heart on time, the patient was saved with a successful heart transplant surgery.
Source: Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Media Update