- In India more than a 100 weight loss surgeries are performed by bariatric surgeons in a day.
- Most of the patients' preferred destinations include Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Indore, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- With the highest number of surgeries performed, the northern region seems to be predominant in this arena.
- Out of the 100 surgeries performed each day, about 15 of them are performed at hospitals in Delhi and the NCR.
- According to Dr. Kapil Agarwal, senior consultant laparoscopic and bariatric surgeon at Habilite Obesity Group, about 5% of the population suffers from morbid obesity whereas 4% of them have comorbidities.
- Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, cardiac diseases and asthma are some of the common comorbidities found in obese patients.
- Demand for weight loss surgeries in India is now an evergrowing scenario amongst patients from Afghanistan, Iraq, Dubai and other countries in Africa.
- The four common types of bariatric surgeries opted for according to the patient's health condition are gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, mini gastric bypass and gastric banding.
Source: The Hindustan Times