- After only 6 hours of her birth, little Advika had to undergo a valve repair surgery at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi (SGRH).
- The infant's life hung from a thread as she suffered from almost 80% blockage in her pulmonary valve.
- Though valve repair in grown-up children are common, yet to perform the same on a new born was of utmost challenge for the doctors as her organs and tissues are still very delicate.
- In Adavika's case, a balloon valvuloplasty was performed in which in stead of the groin, the thin tube was inserted through her neck vessels, said Dr. Neeraj Aggarwal, consultant pediatric cardiologist at SGRH.
- Dr. Aggarwal also added that Adavika's cardiac condition was diagnosed in the fifth month itself through fetal echocardiography which made time for the family to decide on the right time for delivery and choosing the right centre for valve repair.
Source: Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Media Update