- 47-year-old Chikanna was suffering from haemophilia, a genetic disorder that results in continuous bleeding and poor blood clot properties.
- But after undergoing a bilateral knee replacement surgery at Fortis Hospitals, Bannerghatta he has recovered completely.
- According to Dr. Narayan Hulse Additional Director, Orthopaedics, the patient experienced several joint bleeds or hemarthrosis since birth.
- Usually a knee replacement surgery is performed on patients who are of and above 60 years old, but in case of Chikanna the joints were extensively damaged at a very early age and pointed out several disabilities, he added.
- Before the surgery, he underwent a clotting factor replacement therapy to stabilize his lowered blood clot conditions.
Source: Fortis Hospitals, Media Update