- Vascular robotic technology to perform coronary angioplasty and stenting has been introduced for the first time in India by one of the world renowned cardiologists, Dr. Tejas Patel.
- Not implemented anywhere outside the US till now, the procedure is performed on 57 patients in one month at the Apex Heart Institute, Ahmedabad, making it a "global centre of excellence" in cardiology treatment.
- According to Dr. Patel, the procedure ensures zero failure rate in angioplasty and stenting.
- Having been introduced just a year back, only eight centres in the US itself perform this procedure after which it has been successfully carried out by Dr. Patel in India putting the country ahead of European and other countries.
- Dr. Patel was also the first cardiologist in India who not only introduced Transradial Access Technique for angioplasty 25 years ago but has also provided comprehensive training to over 5,000 cardiologists in the country.
Source: Apex Heart Institute, media update