- A 2-year-old boy underwent a successful liver transplant at Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai.
- He was suffering from Hepatoblastoma - liver cancer.
- Even after a liver resection, the cancer recurred and doctors had to perform a liver transplant in which his father was the donor.
- According to Dr. A.S Soin, Director and Chief Surgeon of Jaslok Hospital, it was a complicated case as the previous surgery, chemotherapy and the cancer itself had already weakened his body.
- Dr. Soin also added that the little boy's liver and bowel got tangled together making it extremely difficulty to separate the malignant liver and its blood vessels.
- After the surgery, the child is kept under intensive care and is being provided with immunosuppressive and nutritional management.
- According to chief pediatric hepatologist, Dr. Neelam Mohan, although he can now go back to his normal life, a long term medical management is necessary.
Source: Jaslok Hospital, Media Update