- 26-year-old Salam Abdulridha Zghair from Iraq has been searching for the right treatment for 4 years for his abdominal pain, enlarged spleen, severe weakness and inability to consume food.
- He go himself checked and even underwent numberous blood transfusions and endoscopies in Iraq and Egypt but was not cured.
- Meanwhile his health condition deteriorated with intolerable abdominal pain, platelet count drastically low along with low levels of hemoglobin.
- According to senior consultant of General and Laparoscopic Surgery at Paras Hospital, Dr. Rakesh Durkhure, to stop the gastric bleeding, Zghair had been injected glue for about 14 times.
- His condition worsened over the years because of continued treatment based on wrong diagnosis.
- After a diagnosis at Paras Hospital, the 3kg enlarged spleen hiding under a complex entanglement of blood vessels was removed by the procedure of splenectomy.
- The size and weight of the tumor along with the partially damaged blood vessels by the glue injections made the surgery all the more challenging.
- Thinner than even a transparent polythene, the two blood vessels of splenic vien and the left sided kidney vein was joined.
- The surgery was successfully completed in 5 hours.
Source: Paras Hospital, Media Update