- Mohammad Billal, a three-year-old boy from Pakistani was successfully cured of his rare congenital cardiac condition at Jaypee Hospital, Noida.
- Amongst the two chambers of his heart, the right chamber was weak and enlarged resulting in a continuous pressure on the left chamber. said Dr. Rajesh Sharma, pediatric cadiac surgeon at the hospital.
- He even added that the cardiac disorder that Bilal suffered from was rare as it's frequency of occurence was one in two lakh children.
- The functional efficiency of the boy's heart decreased as the blood pumped by his heart was unable to reach his lungs creating a life threatening situation.
- The team of cardiologists at the Jaypee Hospital led by Dr. Sharma performed the Fontan procedure and Right Ventricle Exclusion from Circulation Method.
- The five hour procedure included removal of the right chamber of his heart after pumping the blue blood directly into the child's lungs through a tube.
- He was kept under ventilation for four days post surgery as a prolonged session of suffering rendered him weak.
Source: Jaypee Hospital, Media Update