- 57-year-old Girdhar Singh waited for 6 months for his heart transplant surgery.
- Singh has attempted for a transplant twice, but did not work out.
- It is because in his first attempt the donor's family backed out and in the second the donor himself got inflicted with a cardiac arrest.
- Singh suffered from heart failure and unlike any other case, his heart not only was unable to pump sufficient blood but was also swollen by 50% of its original size.
- While a normal heart measures 5.5cm, Singh's heart was swollen to 8.5cm.
- On Tuesday, finally a 30-year-old accident victim's family gave consent to donate the deceased man's heart.
- The donor's heart was, therefore, airlifted from Jaipur to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi.
- After four and half hours of arduous surgery, Singh had a healthy beating heart again.
- According to Dr Sujay Shad, Director of SGRH heart transplantation programme, in spite of undergoing three angioplasties and having an automatic cardioverter defribrillator implanted, Singh still ran out of breath. He could not have survived any longer without a transplant.
Source: ET Healthworld