- Bogged down by dengue fever a 37-year-old man suffered brain damage and was in coma for about a month.
- The railway employee initially suffered from high fever.
- After several sessions of seizures and fits Deva lost his consciousness and went in a state of coma.
- Usual treatments of medication and hydration did not work whereas an MRI scan revealed injuries in significant portions of his brain.
- According to consultant neurologist at the hospital Dr. Nithin Kumar N, Deva suffered from dengue encephalitis, a rare manifestation of dengue fever, that lowered his chances of survival.
- Medications were provided to improve his immune system to which positive signs of recovery could be seen.
- Within a few weeks all life forms and support systems were removed.
- By the middle of the fifth week he came to consciuousness and started speaking.
- Physiotherapy sessions helped him to stand with support and even walk a few steps during discharge.
Source: Fortis Hospital, Bengaluru, Media Update