- 35-year-old W.J. Swaminathan met with a road accident and was declared brain-dead at Andhra Hospitals’ Heart and Brain Centre.
- Immediately after, he gave life to five patients in five different hospitals in the city of Chennai.
- Vital organs like the heart, liver, lungs, two of the kidneys and cornea of both his eyes were carefully processed by the Transplant Authority of Tamil Nadu, allocated and then dispatched to the hospitals concerned in the city within a stipulated time.
- Suffering from a severe respitatory ailment, a Palestinian woman received his lungs at Global Hospitals, Chennai.
- While his heart saved a life at Fortis Hospitals and liver at Manipal Hospital, two of his kidneys gave respite to two patients at Vijaya Super-Speciality Hospital and Guntur City Hospital.
- Before the transplants, the compatibility between the donor organs and the recipients were duly tested through human leukocyte antigen typing and other tissue tests.