- A 27-year-old Ukranian suffered from post-partum dilated cardiomyopathy.
- This uncommon heart failure occurs mostly during the last month of pregnancy or upto 5 months post pregnancy.
- She finally got back her life after a successful heart transplant at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai.
- The transplant was possible after the family of a 22-year-old banker (declared brain dead after an accident) in Surat, Gujarat, decided to donate his organs.
- In just 92 minutes, the harvested heart was transported from Unity Hospital in Surat to Fortis Hospital in Mumbai covering a distance of 317kms.
- Immediately after the harvested heart was delivered in the hospital, the patient was operated and the new heart was transplanted into her.
- Dr. Anvay Mulay, Head of the Cardiac Transplant Team at Fortis Hospital, said that the patient is stable now and will be under constant observation for the next 3 days.
Source: Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai, Media Update