- 26-year-old Pradeep suffered from weakness on the right side of his body and also experienced difficulty in speaking.
- A brain MRI scan at BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Bengaluru showed that he had an ishchemic stroke due to decreased blood supply.
- Further angiogram confirmed that he suffered from Moyamoya, a very rare disorder.
- In this condition the two main blood vessels, carotid artery is narrowed by the formation of numerous thin new blood vessels within.
- A vascular bypass surgery was performed by Dr. H.V Madhusudan, chief neurosurgeon and head of neurosciences at the hospital.
- The surgery was performed with the help of an operative microscope with high magnification and micro-instruments.
- The patient has now regained his limb power, has shown significant improvement in speech and is protected from future strokes.
Source: BGS Gleneagles Global Hospitals, Bangalore, Media Update