- A 24-year-old man underwent a double transplant of the heart and the liver in a single surgery at Fortis Hospital Mulund, Mumbai.
- The organ was donated from a 40-year-old brain dead woman who underent brain stroke and was declared dead by the time she was taken to the hospital.
- The patient was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and liver cirrhosis.
- While the donor heart was extracted by the head of cardiac transplant team, Dr Anvay Mulay, the donor liver was extracted by Dr Rakesh Rai, senior consultant and hepato-pancreatic-biliary and transplant surgeon.
- Both the transplants were successfully performed by the respective surgeons in a 14 hour long surgery.
- The lungs and kidney harvested from the cadaverous donor helped to save three other lives.
- The lungs were donated to a patient at Apollo Hospital, Chennai whereas her two kidneys provided life to patients at INS Ashwini in Colaba and Jaslok Hospital.
Source: Fortis Hospital, Mulund, Mumbai