- The specialist team from the Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation and the Institute of Advanced Paediatric Sciences at Global Health City in Chennai has successfully performed three consecutive pediatric liver transplants in 18 hours.
- The transplants were performed on an eight-year-old (Rega), a one and half-year-old (Sanghvi) and a six month old (Leilah) who suffered from Non-Cirrhotic Portal Fibrosis, Biliary Atresia and Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis respectively.
- The chronic liver diseases also affected the children's lungs and caused jaundice.
- The donor was a 12-year-old who was declared brain dead due to excessive brain hemorrhage in the same hospital.
- Reba and Sanghvi underwent split graft liver transplant surgeries whereas a Mono-segmental Liver Transplant was performed on Leilah.
- According to Prof. Dr. Mohamed Rela, Director and Head of the Institute of Liver Disease and Transplantation, performing three complex liver transplants on the little children were really very challenging.
- He also added that the success of the three consecutive liver transplants have set a milestone in the medical world that has never been done anywhere in the world.
Source: Business Wire India